[SOLVED] Go to X79 or stay X58

dyfurr

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
So i currently have a X58 chipset with an X5650 @ 4.6ghz, I can get it to 5ghz plus but it thermal throttles so my question is should i upgrade my Gigabyte G1 sniper X58 board to a X79 board and cpu or should i keep the X58 and get a better cooler to get it to 5ghz + i have been debating it for a while since it is a rare sorta expensive X58 board Just give me some valid arguments.

Solution
So i currently have a X58 chipset with an X5650 @ 4.6ghz, I can get it to 5ghz plus but it thermal throttles so my question is should i upgrade my Gigabyte G1 sniper X58 board to a X79 board and cpu or should i keep the X58 and get a better cooler to get it to 5ghz + i have been debating it for a while since it is a rare sorta expensive X58 board Just give me some valid arguments.

motherboards on x58 and x79 are just way too overpriced for me to seriously recommend either platform. Go with Ryzen. Shes a beast. for 200 bucks (or less) you could get first gen r5 1600 an msi b350 mobo (msi has best vrm cooling) and ddr4 ram. your mobo is probably worth 120 bucks, you could probaly sell your current setup minus gpu for 150-200...
I'd not be putting any more money into old systems for a couple more hundred MHz...

Wait till summer or fall, as this summer (rumoured July?) brings AMD's 3000 series desktop CPUs, where hopefully you can acquire a nice 6-8 core CPU that is FAR more efficient and better performing even if near the same clock speeds. (Rumours of AMD's 8 core offerings equaling or surpassing the 9900K's performance are very interesting!)

Goofy Intel is bringing out a 10 core 14 nm CPU this fall (allegedly to seem to keep with/counter 12 core Ryzens?), but, I can't imagine this even keeping up with 9900K in most games due to thermal limitations and lower clocks needed for TDP limits. (IMO, we want a die shrink so we can have more clockspeed in 6-8 cores at lower power, not two more cores and 25% greater heat within the same surface area heat spreader...)

dyfurr

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
I'd not be putting any more money into old systems for a couple more hundred MHz...

Wait till summer or fall, as this summer (rumoured July?) brings AMD's 3000 series desktop CPUs, where hopefully you can acquire a nice 6-8 core CPU that is FAR more efficient and better performing even if near the same clock speeds. (Rumours of AMD's 8 core offerings equaling or surpassing the 9900K's performance are very interesting!)

Goofy Intel is bringing out a 10 core 14 nm CPU this fall (allegedly to seem to keep with/counter 12 core Ryzens?), but, I can't imagine this even keeping up with 9900K in most games due to thermal limitations and lower clocks needed for TDP limits. (IMO, we want a die shrink so we can have more clockspeed in 6-8 cores at lower power, not two more cores and 25% greater heat within the same surface area heat spreader...)

The only reason i want to stay with older hardware is the price to performance, i dont see anything justifying spending a lot more money on mainstream when i can get a 10000 on passmark with my $10 xeon

daylightriot

Commendable
Mar 4, 2018

motherboards on x58 and x79 are just way too overpriced for me to seriously recommend either platform. Go with Ryzen. Shes a beast. for 200 bucks (or less) you could get first gen r5 1600 an msi b350 mobo (msi has best vrm cooling) and ddr4 ram. your mobo is probably worth 120 bucks, you could probaly sell your current setup minus gpu for 150-200 bucks. ryzen is a current platform with upgrade options and better performance all round.

if you just love intels HEDT then id go x99. quad channel ddr4 sounds interesting to me. not really that useful at the moment but in the future? maybe. big ipc increase on your current rig and they can be found for an absolute steal on ebay sometimes, saw a mobo cpu (the 5820k) and 32gb ram sell for 200 bucks the other day. no one seems to want em. 10 minutes later i saw a gigabyte x58 mobo sell for 120 bucks. insane.

X79 is an option but you're not gonna see any massive gains in performance for applications/games. the read/write speeds are better i think. summit to do with quad channel memory. i'd recommend the huananzhi x79 gaming deluxe motherboard (70 bucks on alibaba, has oc options,decent vrm cooling, quad channel, custom bios for better voltage control) and an e5 1650 v2 (100 bucks)and overclock it to 4.5+ghz.

hope this helps

Solution