GOG.com Now Offering DRM-Free Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief Hollywood really needs to get its head of its ass. With so many people DLing DRM free content from torrent sites (often because, you know, "it's DRM free"), you'd think they'd be thrilled with the idea if getting actual money for said content instead of the zero they are getting for it now.

ratchet256

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I actually like the idea of this. For the value of what is given, 6$ actually isn't too bad. And they seem to be high quality versions too. Like 1080p movies here[strike] are closer to 8GB [/strike]whereas most torrents are closer to 1.5 or 2GB. Also it's cool that they're all gaming/tech related.

By the way, TPB AFK is an absolute MUST WATCH.

Edit: Never mind they're all different. It just TPB AFK that's 8GB. Though most of them seem to bigger/higher quality than most torrents still.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I actually like the idea of this. For the value of what is given, 6$ actually isn't too bad. And they seem to be high quality versions too. Like 1080p movies here[strike] are closer to 8GB [/strike]whereas most torrents are closer to 1.5 or 2GB. Also it's cool that they're all gaming/tech related.

By the way, TPB AFK is an absolute MUST WATCH.

Edit: Never mind they're all different. It just TPB AFK that's 8GB. Though most of them seem to bigger/higher quality than most torrents still.

Depends on the type of rip, torrent sites have nothing to do with this.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
These companies need to ask them self, is the current DRM working? In the absence of these DRM free copies being sold by GOG, will people still be able to find pirated copies of the movies?

I personally will not buy a DRM version of a movie because I don't want to have to worry about that.

DRM free copies mean that I can copy the movie to my tablet, smartphone, ancient PDA, pop it onto a flash drive and connect it to the USB port on the TV and play the movie, or put it on the NAS and stream it to any of my streaming capable devices without having to worry about compatibility.

With DRM, you are locked into a specific application and if the service ever fails or they decide to end the service, then your content no longer works, (this has happened many times in the past (including with one of the largest companies on the planet also killing DRM servers http://boingboing.net/2008/09/26/walmart-shutting-dow.html

Overall, all the DRM does, is make things less convenient for paying customers.

DRM has failed the second it causes any paying customer to have trouble playing the content they purchased, on any device they would like to play it on as compared to a DRM free copy.

For something more related to video, check out http://boingboing.net/2007/11/07/mlb-rips-off-fans-wh.html

Status
Not open for further replies.