[SOLVED] Going to reinstall windows 10 after hardware change how do I back up my important files and restore them after?

S225

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019
Going to be changing my motherboard soon and need to reinstall windows 10 after changing it. I was wondering what’s the best way to back up my important files(User files and program data) and how I would restore it after the reinstall?

thanks

Solution
So I can just copy my whole user file and add it later? Or should I do only copy the files in the sub folders and restore them?
NOT the whole /User/ folder.
And not even the "Libraries".

The files in them, yes.

The /User/ and Libraries folders carry the permissions of the existing users. Dropping that into a new install brings permission and access issues.
The files within those Libraries do not carry those permissions.

USAFRet

Titan
Going to be changing my motherboard soon and need to reinstall windows 10 after changing it. I was wondering what’s the best way to back up my important files(User files and program data) and how I would restore it after the reinstall?

thanks
Personal files, you copy those to some other drive or storage location.

"program data" is irrelevant, because you'll be reinstalling all your applications anyway.

S225

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019
Personal files, you copy those to some other drive or storage location.

"program data" is irrelevant, because you'll be reinstalling all your applications anyway.
So I can just copy my whole user file and add it later? Or should I do only copy the files in the sub folders and restore them?

USAFRet

Titan

The files in them, yes.

The /User/ and Libraries folders carry the permissions of the existing users. Dropping that into a new install brings permission and access issues.

Solution

S225

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019

The files in them, yes.

Oh yes of course. Will I be able to do folders like app data? Or does that have permission requirements since it’s a hidden folder?

USAFRet

Titan
Alright thank you for your help!
Good luck!

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Simplest way is to buy a USB stick and copy everything you’ve saved to “Documents”, “Pictures”, “Downloads” and “Desktop” on to the USB stick.

Only you know where you’ve put your important files, but for most people, those four folders seem to be the ones.