Good Anime Suggestions

Tyrotoxicity

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Anyone have good anime suggestions? I'm just starting to get into the genre and would love some advice on which to watch.

i'm probably the forum anime addict....as you can most likely guess from my avatar and slogan. it will be easier for me to answer your question if you directly private message me. that way i will know you responded and can get back to you, i rarely check forum>entertainment as its not very busy.

what i need to ask since there are so many different types is what genre or style are you looking for? i'll name some from different catagories but letting me know exactly what you're looking for will allow me to get you a better listing.

easily the most popular three are bleach, naruto (& naruto:shippuden) and one-iece. you might also have heard of dragonball (& dragonball z & dragonball gt) and akira.

i prefer action or scifi/fantasy based titles myself but i do have some comedy or drama titles in my collection in case that suits your fancy.

again....let me know what sort of recommendation you're looking for and i'll be able to name a list for you... some things to think about in your response:

-what genres do you like?
-do you want something serious or something fun?
-what age class do you like? adult-themed only or is stuff aimed at teenagers okay?
-anime movies or series? is long length a turnoff? (ex. 8x600min seasons, 4 movies)
-must there be a good storyline or is a random but fun title okay?
-are you opposed to chibi-forms? (where they appear as tiny kids)
-are you opposed to real violence (blood) or do you want fake (no blood)?
-do you want titles with an english dub or are japanese with english subtitles okay?
-any things you do not like or do not want to see recommended.

i know its alot of questions but it will allow me to better judge what you wiill/will not like. pm me some responses and i'll see what i can come up with for you.

@pyree

i'll assume it wasnt a joke at my expense and you were referring to yourself, in which case you are free to PM me as well with the above aformentioned info.

i dont know the exact number offhand but i would guess i have between 300-400 season sets. definitely enough to recommend a few!

It means I am confessing that I am also an anime fan and an Otaku!!

As an anime fan, you should know Otakus are not respected and many hide away. I am going to openly admit it.

Densha Otoko, I am not sure how faithfully it reflects Japanese society treatment of Otaku, but they were frowned upon like LGBT before the liberation in western society, hence the little joke.

Or are you only admitting you are just an anime fan and not Otaku?

Addict perhaps. Otaku no. I only obsess half the time [joke]

I do have the tenjho tenge intro as my ringtone and a framed poster on the wall though. Maya Natsume is one of my favorite characters.

Feel free to list some of your favorite shows or characters. Or pm. Your choice.

@pyree

funny you mentioned gintama... actually just picked up season one of that series from amazon this past week. there havent been many good titles released lately, anime or otherwise, that i've been interested in so i researched some and splurged just a little bit. i should be kept busy for a little while!

not sure if you care...but this is what i got. i'll include some commentary:

Yu Yu Hakusho: Eizou Hakusho OVA- i have all four seasons, not sure what content this is going to be but i had to have it.

Kekkaishi: Set 3- read up to the latest in the manga and have the first two seasons. who knew boxes could be entertaining. [watched]

Samurai X OVA set- all 4 movies. i have all three seasons and every manga so i know its going to be good.

Gintama: Collection 1- came recommended across alot of boards so i picked up the first seasons to check it out.

Lucky Star- the preview was hilarious. I watched one episode already and its funny. gotta love chibi's.

Aquarion- after seeing the first part i bought for really cheap used i had to get the entire set. its not the best mecha ever but its certainly a new take on things and worth watching.

excel saga- its said to be even more random and nutty than FLCL..this ought to be interesting. hopefully my mind doesnt explode.

devil may cry- must have if you've played the games. they did a good job with it. [watched]

bamboo blade- another one mentioned when i searched. i've seen previews but have no idea on it otherwise.

heroic age- took another guess here but after watching 19/24 episodes i have to say its a classic must have.

Fairy Tail- watched a few episodes...reminds me of slayers a little bit.

FLCL- i've seen it already but had to get my own copy [watched]

Moribito- hasnt come in yet but was recommended on forums.

Those Who Hunt Elves- i've seen half of it before and its funny. i had to get my own copy.

Detroit Metal City- wow...just wow. looks like a low budget production but its so horrible (black humor) that it will leave you on the floor laughing for hours or disgusted. i've only seen a few episodes but it was definitely worth the buy.

...yeah all of that. i never can just order one thing from amazon and call it a day.

i found a pretty sweet maya natsume 1/8 figurine i have my eye on... i can justify spending $40 on a series easily enough but i find it hard to break down and buy a figurine. guess i'm not obsessed enough...but i like to keep myself in check just a little bit haha.

check it out:
tenjho tenge maya natusme realistic detail action figure vol 1 by kaiyodo.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenjho-Natsume-Realistic-Detail-Action/dp/B000B91NYM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I32FWD8H1G8LSA&colid=ITFUYY9IJS3Q

----

still waiting on the OP to respond or pm. was hoping i'd see some activity by now.

Have NGE, FMA, elfen lied. Nyu rocks.

Some favorites...

Yu yu hakusho
Chrome shelled regios
Kaze no stigma
Kekkaishi
Kenichi mightiest disiple
Hellsing
Strait jacket
Final fantasy advent children
Bleach
Naruto shippuden
Inuyasha
Full metal panic
Ghost in the shell
Utawarerumono

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
there's an old cartoon movie called "Hey, Good Looking" you may want to check out. it's in English and American characters but it is a really good movie. kind of abstract and everything is exaggerated a lot of humor too.

I like Bleach but only the showdowns.

Darkithanime

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
code geass was one of the first ones i ever saw (still love it)

death note is just like code geass but with a lot more problem solving

lucky star
was funny

oh GURREN LAGGAN perfect starting show ive gotten a lot of my friends into anime by letting them watch that

Fullmetal Alchemist and D gray Man are a lot alike with equal awesomess

School days is a really intense show (at the end)

Freezing is a newer show that blew my mind with how good it was (far to much nudity though-kinda breaks the action)

and Gosick is the sherlock Holmes of the anime world

oh and dont forget pokemo... JK JK

...funny that you mentioned that

i have season 1 of gundam seed destiny on order - coming in this week. i bought season 2 on sale local and watched a disk or two of it. quite alot of drama but its not bad.

i decided to watch some gundam after picking up my first two gunpla models to assemble and paint to practice my airbrushing skills before i move on to the big two models i have coming.

i dont know the names....but i have a 1/100 one with the whipshield and back boosters and a 1/44 one that has guns with broadswords attached to them. hopefully i can get my airbrush and equipment by this weekend!

next i've got the two harder kits lined up... the AC Pearl Alicia with 300+ parts and the AC White Glint VOB with 800+. those two i want to do as professionally as i can so gunpla to practice until i'm good!

as i'm not very far on either yet think (just have them cut out) think i should post a short WIP thread to update?

Wipeshield and back boosters. Sounds like this one:

http://sonyfans.5d6d.com/viewthread.php?tid=15101

or

http://www.noirdevinyle.com/gundam-model-kit-master-grade-gn-x-by-keita/

Gun and broadsword. They pretty much all have those weapon as standard so those info is not really useful in IDing.

And good idea for a WIP thread.

so true... so true...

i looked them up on the hobbytown website where i bought them...

1/100 HG EW-03 "Tallgeese"
1/144 HG HG-22 "00 gundam"

to be honest i just picked the coolest looking ones that weren't too expensive as these ARE just for me learning to paint gunpla models.

the master grade strike-freedom is pretty sick looking as well but its at least $100 or $200 for the version with the base and extra parts! definitely not something i would want to screw up. price aside, strike freedom does seem just a tad overpowered in s2 gs:destiny.

i have a camera... i might as well start using it. i'll try to take a few photos of what i have so far...i wont be able to start airbrushing until i get my equipment in later this week hopefully....or early next at the latest. amazon still hasnt shipped my parts yet...

amazon shipped my order out late...but i'm getting it one day earlier.

i have to say one thing... amazon automatically upgrades the shipping to make sure they meet their own deadlines.

so looks like i will get the airbrush today and the hose tomorrow haha...

i didnt get a chance to take pictures yet. what i was thinking about doing is creating a blogspot site to post everything on and just linking to that from here with maybe a teaser photo.

also i got my first resin models in from e2046 today. i have to say i'm definitely impressed. everything came through with zero damage.

i will be backlogged with painting things for MONTHS! but i suppose thats a good thing.. if not for my wallet.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
woooh anime :D
campfer (the last few episodes suck the rest is ok :/)
moon phase (goth loli neko vampire - whats not to like :D?)
the gundam 0079 (unfortunetly i have only seen the 3 films so i have missed alot i need to get around to watching the actual series)
zeta gundam
double zeta gundam
gundam wing
gundam seed
turn-A-gundam (my fave ^.^)
Hōrō Musuko
spice and wolf
strawberry panic
kashimashi girl meets girl
escaflowne
gasaraki
full metal panic!
kodomo no jikan (didnt finish watching it)
nadesico
raxephon
bubblegum crisis tokyo 2040 (got onto the last dvd but it wouldnt read :( ended up forgetting it and cant get around to finishing it)
evangelion (got to the episode where eva unit... 1 i think ate an s2 engine then my dvd broke and i pretty much left it)
azu manga daioh
I.S.
kore wa zombie desu ka?
.hack//legend of the twighlight (was watching that one online and then i lost internets for a week and i didnt get back to it)
.hack//sign
oran high school host club
hanazakri no kimitachi e... (no not anime its live action but it has some things in it you find in anime... - origonal that is - tl;dr MUST WATCH!)
ummm... there are alot more... i just cant remember them...

i also have an anoying problem
if i watch a series i cannot re-watch the thing because i remember everything that happens in advance and it ruins the entire thing :( (ah this happens then that happens then this then that then... oh... i just ruined it for my self...)

yep... i'm officially the forum anime addict.

i'm not a huge mecha fan in general so i haven't seen quite as many as you.

gundam seed - i own the one with strike freedom gundam. only seen a few episodes so far though.
raxephalon - its on a maybe list for me. sounds a little strange to me.
full metal panic! - on my list of favorites.
evanglion - on my list of favorites. eagerly awaiting 3.33.
bubblegun crysis - i've watched 3/4 of this. its not bad but its not the type of style i watch often.
spice and wolf - i own both but i've only seen season 1. its not bad but its a bit slow for my liking.
moonphase - never seen this but perhaps i'll check it out.

if you like mecha you might want to check out:

aquarion - interesting storyline with robots that combine. a few repeated scenes but overall not bad and worth checking out.
vandread - space based robots and spaceship battles. on my list of favorites.
gurren lagann - completely over the top story involving robots with giant faces.
burst angel - another decent show about a mecha pilot and crew. this time fighting robots controlled by cyberbrains.
ghost in the shell - mental thriller involving androids, minitanks and other robotlike creations. definitely a+ material.

as far as not being able to repeat watch seasons.... it depends on the show. certain shows you can only watch once until you manage to forget what they were about and others you can watch over and over even though you know what is going to happen.

i've probably watched every episode of bleach about 5x with some being watched 15x or more. baki the grappler has been watched more times than i'd like to count. utawarerumono is another show with countless watch cycles. in terms of mecha... either ghost in the shell or vandread are rewatch worthy.

if you're looking for any other suggestions or discussions just list some that you like. i'm probably up to about 350 boxes so far (its probably around half of my total movies collection!). i tend to focus on action titles more but i do have a few of each genre.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Bleach and Full Metal Alchemist are pretty good. I just got Noir, haven't watched it yet but the premise sounds good. Who doesn't like a show about two female assasins? I picked up Jin Roh - The Wolf Brigade as well. I really like the Vampire Hunter D movies. I heard that they were planning on a tv series of it. I like the initial D series as well even though they are way too cheesy at times but I'm a huge car addict so it works for me. I watched though most of El Hazard recently and it was decent, not one I would buy but was entertaining. Film wise I think Spirited Away, Ghost in Shell, Ninja Scroll, Tekken Kinkreet, and the Vampire Hunters are my favorites. The anime version of Metropolis was very good as well but I didn't like it as much as the others listed. It could be because I was so much of a fan of the movie I had expected too much from it.

zex95966

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I am a pretty hardcore anime fan.

I would say of course that it depends on your tastes... I have a wide variety I can suggest:

Drama: Clannad
Horror/Mystery: Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Comedy: Ouran High School Host Club
Action: Bleach

and in it's own omgwtfdidijustwatch category: School Days
be warned on that last one... I can only recommend it for those who like a shocking ending and just like messed up stories in general.
I think just by mentioning it's name the other anime people on here will kill me for recommending it... gwahaha.

@wip the original ghost in the shell movie? definitely different than the series but well done. tekken kinkreet.... is this the basis for tekken the video game or does it just sound similar

@zex see post and pm sent. i wasn't really impressed with clannad myself... but i'm not huge on drama either. never heard of the horror one. heard of ohshc... but not really my style of show. as always bleach is excellent. never heard of school days... but i can suggest two others which fit the category....FLCL and Detroit Metal City. both are epic. dmc is a personal favorite.