[SOLVED] Good broadband speed but slow downloads?

Feb 3, 2022
Hello,

PC SPEC:-
Ryzen 5600G
Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming 2
16GB DDR4 4400
EVGA 650 GT Gold PSU
SSD 500GB hard drive (think it's called m.2!!)

Internet:-
BT direct to property full fibre
150MB Speed
BT HUB 3 Router

I have recently built my PC and have it connected to the router via Tenda PH3 1000Mbps powerline adapters. I'm using the standard network adapter that is built into the motherboard.

When I run a speedtest, I'm getting a steady 120mb download speed which is kinda what I was expecting. When I download anything on my PC though, whether it be a game through Ubisoft Connect, Xbox Game Pass for PC or Epic downloader, I'm capping out at 15mb. Is this normal or should I be getting a much higher speed? I have even purchased a 30m ethernet cable and connected this directly to my router but was the same result. My Xbox which is connected via WiFi to my router enjoys speeds of 150mb! I live alone and only have my PC, Xbox and one mobile phone connected to the router so really shouldn't be an issue there I wouldn't have thought, considering BT claim that you can have 150 devices connected with no speed loss!

Thanks in advance and sorry if I've missed anything out!

Solution
TL;DR: velocityg4 is correct.

Broadband providers in the UK generally advertise data transfer rates with foolish terminology like: "speeds up to 900Mb". It is not at all helpful for customers because Mb denotes neither a speed, nor even a unit of data in modern terms.

What they actually mean is up to 900 Mbit/s (megabits per second).
The user facing issue is that the ISP and speedtest.net report in megabits/sec, and Steam reports in megaBytes/sec.

8:1 ratio, leading people to think ther eis a "problem".

110 megaBytes/sec as reported by Steam is the same as 900 megabits as reported by the ISP and speedtest.net.

Or, in this users case...

120Mbps == 15MBps
Small b vs big B.
Bits vs Bytes
Dec 30, 2021

Broadband providers in the UK generally advertise data transfer rates with foolish terminology like: "speeds up to 900Mb". It is not at all helpful for customers because Mb denotes neither a speed, nor even a unit of data in modern terms.

It is also common for sites that generate large amounts of traffic to be 'managed' by the broadband provider. Gaming sites are likely to fall into this category, which is probably why you are not seeing your maximum potential data transfer rate of 150 Mbit/s (18.75 megabytes per second) when downloading games. At least you are getting close to it though.

Plusnet does this 'managing' of traffic and BT owns Plusnet, so it is likely they do the same thing.

USAFRet

Titan

The user facing issue is that the ISP and speedtest.net report in megabits/sec, and Steam reports in megaBytes/sec.

8:1 ratio, leading people to think ther eis a "problem".

110 megaBytes/sec as reported by Steam is the same as 900 megabits as reported by the ISP and speedtest.net.

Or, in this users case...

120Mbps == 15MBps
Small b vs big B.
Bits vs Bytes

Solution