Good Old Games Shutting its Doors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i like gog. most games are @ $5, if i remember it right they carry fallout 1&2, jagged alliance(1&2?), arcanum, and a bunch of classics.

but hey, maybe they're just moving out of beta phase.
in our forum, we have a thread dedicated to digital downloads, we would post games that are on sale, and gog is one of the sites that we monitor.
and yes, you should see the virtual shelf, its pretty neat

G

I bought some games from them.. And now this..

And what the hell do publishers even want with their DRM? For me to go to TBP? Yeah that's going to increase profits. They don't think for a single freaking second.

Well because they were "DRM free" it was impossible to sell new titles, and lots of publishers were wary of letting them sell the slightly older titles.

Hopefully they come back with all their older "classic" content but also offer newer content, probably with some sort of DRM attached. If they do it the way steam did it would work out I think. I purchased many games from them because they had all the old classics. Might and Magic series, X-COM series, Septerra Core, and a few others.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Impulse is nice.
As much as I like Steam (usually cheaper, and a larger community), I had my net down for almost a week recently. Not being able to play my games because of it sucked.

I severely dislike DRM, and I have cracked several PC games I bought with my hard earned money.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Sounds like they had a good thing going there, but as several others said, I have never heard of this company until now. I would really like to have seen what they had to offer. :-( Lets hope they get themselves sorted out.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Awesome site, very informative, and even allowed a "Game Case" for your games on the site if you choose too. Bought abunch of titles i had kinda lost or lost of the years for varies reasons. Getting the original manuals in some form was very nice too, least from the ones read and could remember maintained alot of original typing in them, rather colored different or not. DOnt know, been awhile since i'd check but still. Getting an old game in cd or digital with a manual is hard enough.

G

Noooooooooo!!!!!

To me Gog was the shining example how online retail should work, the last bastion of common sense and trust in the customer. I refuse to use any of the DRM-infested alternatives. Oh wait, there are no alternatives, excluding the illegal ones.

Actually GOG convinced me that old games and "abandonware" still have a monetary value and, to me, the existence of GOG was the only valid argument against abandonware sites.

I hate everything about the direction (hell) in which this industry is going!

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
This is soo sad. They sold very cheep games. Got several of my favorates from the '90s. Good thing I kept the install files, better back them up now because the sites down now.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
This is a sad news! I am a registered user of GOG, and I have not downloaded my games, yet! I like GOG's idea being DRM free and users can have total freedom of the games they purchased. I hope GOG will return with better service and still keeping its "free" essence. Please do it right, I don't wanna download those "good old games" through torrent sites, again!

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I too wish GOG would have been more well known. But now what happens to all those people who have purchased games thru them before... will they still be able to download them?

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I bought games on Steam only to find them cheaper there, they were trying to hold to two price levels. Maybe that's part of why their site message sounds like this isn't a closing as much as a rethink of what they're going to be doing.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Well because they were "DRM free" it was impossible to sell new titles, and lots of publishers were wary of letting them sell the slightly older titles.Hopefully they come back with all their older "classic" content but also offer newer content, probably with some sort of DRM attached. If they do it the way steam did it would work out I think. I purchased many games from them because they had all the old classics. Might and Magic series, X-COM series, Septerra Core, and a few others.[/citation]

They basicly were a steam like service already. Granted they didn't launch any of the top current titles, but they offer cheap stuff like steam does (most of the older games on steam aren't drm'ed either and are shipped with dosbox or an opengl wrapper). If they expand their classic sortiment with indie games I believe they should be able to stay drm free until someone abuses it enough.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
NOEEESSS!!!! WTF MAN!!! Does every good thing have to die out i had games purchased and planned on having my own personal collection there. :((

G

Head to DotEmu for DRM-free classic games.
A French GOG-like system launched recently.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Oh no this is bad news.GoG was the place where I was buying new (older) titles like Postal 2,Postal,iL-2 1946 and other great older titles with no DRM.Their policy was that you could install the games on as many PC's that you personally owned.Best reasonable EULA ever!
Their EULA essentially only stated that you not redistribute it for others,friends etc.
Not all of their games worked perfectly though.
Some of the older Windows 95,98 titles had some glitches running in XP,Vista or 7 but the games that came out during the XP era I have had no problems with.
I wanted to get a lot more games from them but was busy.
I hope that they come back soon.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I ran into the site about a year ago, but I had forgotten about since they did little to advertise their products.

And now that I'm reminded of them, I have the urge to buy some older games from them (except that I can't now (we'll see what happens on Wednesday)

Status
Not open for further replies.