Good Old Games Shutting its Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

teaser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Yeah,I purchased about 6 games from them,it was a cool company,on the gog website after you logged in you could go to your bookshelf and they would have all the game boxes of the games you purchased,it was pretty neat...sad to see them go

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
It has been rumored in forums that this is some sort of a publicity stunt.

Being one of its costumers, I sure hope so. When I first saw this message on GOG last night, I seriously panicked.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
NO BS, me and my friend just discovered this site on Friday 9/17/2010. I was going to purchase a bunch of games this Friday....Oh #ucking well i guess.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]deuce271[/nom]It would be great if Steam would run a service like that.[/citation]
+1 to that, maybe for a premium after you have bought the game from Steam, you can buy original manuals or artwork.
For those who want it, of course, it could be a nice little added bonus.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]deuce271[/nom]It would be great if Steam would run a service like that.[/citation]
Steam already has a bunch of older games which all run flawlessly on Windows 7 64.
I hope the entire catalog of games on GOG will be moved over to Steam. That would be so awesome, I'd buy a TON of stuff.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Chris_TC[/nom]Steam already has a bunch of older games which all run flawlessly on Windows 7 64.I hope the entire catalog of games on GOG will be moved over to Steam. That would be so awesome, I'd buy a TON of stuff.[/citation]
Yes we know, the good thing about GOG was being able to get some of the other things from a game such as the manuals, but being able to also get physical ones as well would make a great cottage industry.
I for one would love to get the original manuals from the Wing Commander series.

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]backin5[/nom]It has been rumored in forums that this is some sort of a publicity stunt.Being one of its costumers, I sure hope so. When I first saw this message on GOG last night, I seriously panicked.[/citation]
If you're right - it's quite brilliant, actually. They needed to take the site offline for a few days anyway (to go out of beta) and someone probably figured that the only way to get some free and widespread publicity would be to "feign death"... which is infuriating in its own right, similarly to how a nice and timid person might only get noticed and praised after being found dangling from a tree.

We'll have to wait for Wednesday to find out, I guess...

G

Honestly I visited gog a few times... they were ok, but really the selection/pricing was kinda subpar (I did buy 3-4 games from them). I didn't realize they were drm free, and that fact, as evidenced in this article, most likely made it really hard to be competetive with either. Honestly a revamp (if that indeed is what's happening) is probably a good thing, let's hope they come back, steam needs some healthy competition.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
never heard of them until this article... probably would have bought from them.... someone dropped the ball in terms of how to promote the company. didn't advertise to the right people?

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah, Ive been reading on this, and it seems from the wording on their site, that they will stop existing in their current state. Most of the people Ive talked to about this seem to think they will starting to use some form of DRM in their comes after the reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.