Question Good PC stuttering on almost all games, Im about to throw it out the window. ive tried almost everything and im losing hope that i will diagnose it

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
First off here's my specs:
1080P 75 hz Freesync Dell monitor
ASUS PRIME B-450 M/A
MSI MAG 750W POWER SUPPLY
RYZEN 5600X
AMD RX 6750XT
16gb Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz CL16 ( running in dual channel in the correct slots )
1Tb SSD ( i forgot the brand its kindof old) i believe my SSD may be failing bc of the starting and stopping of downloads on steam but i dont see how this could cause stuttering in games but someone please enlighten me. i also dont know of a program to test SSD

i have tried just about everything from Bios settings like enabling and disabling XMP and precision boost overdrive i even downclocked my ram speed, timings and cpu speed just to see if it was a stability issue. windows settings like turning of Xbox game bar ect, One thing i havent tried yet is resetting windows but i just did that a few months ago when i installed my new parts. Also it seems like anytime my game has to load alot of assets the stuttering starts, in non dense areas of games the performance is buttery smooth. i can max settings out plus some in the wilderness in RDR2 and its smooth but as soon as i enter a town the stuttering starts. Another thing ive noticed the frametimes seem to be all over the place. Also benchmarks like 3dMark and Furmark seem to present no issues whatsoever, only real games have problems. Also my system never crashes or BSOD, nothing like that happens.. My over analytical but apparently dumb brain is telling me the issue could be even deeper rooted like a damaged component on the PCB of my GPU or dirty power going to my power supply for example or maybe my motherboard just sucks or possibly even a loose SSD cable or maybe my ssd is causing the issue. Im open to try any suggestions and would even pay someone a tip for helping me if it solves the issue because if not, im just gonna dropkick PC gaming and buy a console. Ive had many issues like this in the past (albeit i managed to fix most of them) i had a better experience on my old Ryzen 1600 and RX 480. Thanks for any and all help :)

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
433GB free on the SSD
CPU seems to hover around 70c under load
GPU core is around 65c and hotspot is around 75c
Ram usage for RDR2 is 4.8GB and task manager is reporting 63% ram usage in total just sitting here with all my apps and game running as they would usually be
1% lows drop to around 18fps in cities constantly with 75FPS ( v- sync ) in between stutters

Last edited:
stuttering on almost all games
what exactly are you calling "stuttering";
just lower fps for random periods of time,
very quick fluctuations back & forth from high to low fps,
low fps in specific areas or when certain in-game actions are going on,
etc..?
i believe my SSD may be failing bc of the starting and stopping of downloads on steam but i dont see how this could cause stuttering
stuttering is actually the inability of the fps to remain steady with constant fluctuations,
not just lower fps at certain times.

a full or bad disk can cause or contribute to this or other performance issues because the data on the disk isn't being read at a constant speed.

you can use something like CrystalDiskInfo to test disk health.
or check the disk manufacturer's product support page(s) for any available software.
you should look into getting a separate disk for game installations.
having the OS, background app/processes, and games all reading from the same disk at the same time can also lead to decreased performance.
16gb Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz CL16
you may also want to look into switching out for a 32GB(2x 16GB) 3600MHz RAM kit.
AMD is known for being more dependent on available memory and faster speeds for better performance.

Last edited:

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
what exactly are you calling "stuttering";
just lower fps for random periods of time,
very quick fluctuations back & forth from high to low fps,
low fps in specific areas or when certain in-game actions are going on,
etc..?

stuttering is actually the inability of the fps to remain steady with constant fluctuations,
not just lower fps at certain times.

a full or bad disk can cause or contribute to this because the data on the disk isn't being read at a constant speed.

you can use something like CrystalDiskInfo to test disk health.
or check the disk manufacturer's product support page(s) for any available software.

you should look into getting a separate disk for game installations.
having the OS, background app/processes, and games all reading from the same disk at the same time can also lead to decreased performance.

you may also want to look into switching out for a 32GB(2x 16GB) 3600MHz RAM kit.
AMD is known for being more dependent on available memory and faster speeds for better performance.
Stuttering to me is when my Framerate Plummets into the teens for microseconds then back up to my refresh rate which i can visually see and feel and yes it only happens in towns for the most part but as ive said lowering the settings actually makes the stutters occur more often . 16Gb of 3200mhz ram is perfectly fine for this game im currently playing. Having the games on a separate SSD may help initial loading times and overall better for system snappiness especially while gaming but this isnt the issue that is bothering me. However i believe the SSD may have something to do with it

games on a separate SSD may help initial loading times and overall better for system snappiness especially while gaming but this isnt the issue that is bothering me
game data is constantly being read from the installed location, it doesn't just all load when starting up and remain in memory until you close the game.
if there is an issue with the disk then it is going to constantly cause issue with game data being read and processed.

also if there are background applications and/or OS processes reading & writing to & from this same disk then there can be very noticeable fluctuations in the speed in which game data is being read resulting in bad game performance.
especially if this may be a disk that is already suffering from some sort of degradation.
16Gb of 3200mhz ram is perfectly fine for this game
may fit the game's recommended requirements,
but AMD performance in particular suffers overall from lack of available memory and from lower RAM speeds.
3600MHz with lower latency has been noted as the "sweet spot" for these CPUs.

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
game data is constantly being read from the installed location, it doesn't just all load when starting up and remain in memory until you close the game.
if there is an issue with the disk then it is going to constantly cause issue with game data being read and processed.

also if there are background applications and/or OS processes reading & writing to & from this same disk then there can be very noticeable fluctuations in the speed in which game data is being read resulting in bad game performance.
especially if this may be a disk that is already suffering from some sort of degradation.

may fit the game's recommended requirements,
but AMD performance in particular suffers overall from lack of available memory and from lower RAM speeds.
3600MHz with lower latency has been noted as the "sweet spot" for these CPUs.
I just highly doubt that the ram speed being a little slower than optimal would cause issues like this to this degree, if it was just a little stutter every once in a while i wouldn't even see it as a big deal as im used to that. If that were the case theoretically wouldn't downclocking the cpu some alleviate this?

HydroXzX

Prominent
Aug 22, 2023
never stated that it would be the root cause of the issue.
along with more available RAM, just another option to increase possible performance in all situations.

my first action would be to get a new good sized(2-4TB) SATA SSD and reinstall all games there.
I dont doubt the SSD isint the main issue i completely agree with that and it makes sense , now i think about it i do have a 128Gb SSD as well thats even older but the games i have on there dont seem to be presenting any stutter( although they are old really easy to run titles ) Should i go for a M.2 drive while im at it? and whats the most reliable manufacturer in your experience?

Should i go for a M.2 drive while im at it? and whats the most reliable manufacturer in your experience?
M.2 vs SATA;
for games it doesn't really make a difference performance-wise yet, but you can get a much larger SATA drive for less money.

i'd probably get a new 512GB - 1TB M.2 for the OS & applications.
and go for 2-4TB SATA for strictly games.

Samsung is still one of the most trusted with good customer support and provided software.
there are tons of reliable options out there though.
see what types are available for you and post back here or even start a new thread listing those options. you'll usually get a lot of feedback along with some posted reviews for certain models.