Question Good shielded computer speakers that won't pick up radio

animematic

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
So for the last couple years I've been using Cyber Acoustic 2.1 speakers and they pick up radio signals. Normally its not an issue since I can't hear it at all when I have the volume at normal levels. I did look into a bit here and there and standard searches always said to use shielded cables but I don't wanna have to rewire things. Is there a decent set that comes with shielded wiring?

So for the last couple years I've been using Cyber Acoustic 2.1 speakers and they pick up radio signals. Normally its not an issue since I can't hear it at all when I have the volume at normal levels. I did look into a bit here and there and standard searches always said to use shielded cables but I don't wanna have to rewire things. Is there a decent set that comes with shielded wiring?
Only input to amplifier has to be shielded and shield properly grounded. For output cables to pick up radio signals those would have to be very, very strong like in CB or amateur radio transceiver or it's antenna being just next to speakers. It's most likely it's actual amplifier which is picking up radio signals due to it's poor design.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What CountMike says applies to the cables from your computer's audio output jacks to your speakers. But they also apply to inputs TO your computer, and to any possible pickup by the computer's mobo circuits themselves. So any INPUT cables to your system, AND the computer itself, need good Ground connections.

Although modern electrical systems provide a Ground connection for electrical safety in the event of certain types of circuit or wiring faults, that same Ground connection is VITAL for grounding out electrical noise in signal lines. The braided wire outer shields in cables need that Ground to "get rid" of those induction signals from outside. On most computer systems that Ground connection is supplied only by the electrical supply cord from the wall outlet to the PSU of the computer. All other devices connected to the computer rely on that Ground connection source.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike