Goodbye Win9x - Hello WinXP **WPA**

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Microsoft is currently writting its euology for Win9x while ushering in their Piracy Killer OS Win XP. As mentioned in their <b><A HREF="http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2810169,00.html" target="_new">Windows Product Activation</b></A> (WPA), you will have 30 days to activate XP and after <b>6</b> component changes XP will no longer recognize your machine. Now this is a bitter pill we all will sooner or later will have to swallow. However, the one stepchild who will dance free of the WPA is Win 2000.

Let us all have a moment of silence for Win9x & and a big cheer for Win 2000, but beware all you tweakers WPA is watching & counting.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I had heard that component changes were limited with xp but I hadn't heard the exact number allowed. wow!! I had also heard this was also largely due to the fact that fewer and fewer people were upgrading there os after win98. I guess it makes since, considering some portions of U.S. military still use win. 3.1 because its less likely to crash.(i.e. powerplants and what not) If you hook a medium to large size buisness up with xp your probably going to sell another os license sooner or later. I suppose if you can't get people to upgrade os's as ofter as you'd like, you just have to force them to.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"Now this is a bitter pill we all will sooner or later will have to swallow"

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm......Yeah.

Ok.

:smile: <font color=red>Phear my l<font color=blue>33</font color=blue>t skillz, biznatch!</font color=red> :smile:

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"" Now this is a bitter pill we all will sooner or later will have to swallow. ""

I dont think that "all" will mean "all". WinME were just released, so they will stick around for a couple of years at least... so in couple of years lots of things can change: Linux will become a "wow" OS, or WPA will become a "dead" thing, or whatever, so I personally will let that "bitter pill" rest on the shelf for a while and will use WinME and Win2k while that hwile will come true in a while.

$.02

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
"" Now this is a bitter pill we all will sooner or later will have to swallow. ""

Bad choice of words on my part. Let me rephrase that; <font color=red>"Now this is a bitter pill we all will be given a choice to swallow or choke on"</font color=red>. You are correct, Linux is starting to look very attractive. I wonder what the rest of the world will do,i.e., (Asia, Europe, Down-Under...etc.) with WPA? Do you really think WinMe will soon have upgrades? My thoughts get real fuzzy when I think of the impact WPA will have on this "Information Age" that we are in.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men