News Google allegedly crippling Firefox's YouTube performance — company's response to five-second video delay for non-Chrome users misses the point

Status
Not open for further replies.

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
If the video delay disappears with a simple user agent switch, it definitively proves that Google's "ad blocker" response is utter BS.

Personally, I don't care if it's a 30-second delay. I'm still not switching to Chrome as my default PC browser. Firefox's countless addons and better privacy make it an infinitely superior browser regardless of minor speed differences. My larger concern is I've seen several other high-profile websites starting to have compatibility issues – mostly minor, but still – with Firefox in the past year, so this kind of scummy tactics may force more casual users to switch.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
If the video delay disappears with a simple user agent switch, it definitively proves that Google's "ad blocker" response is utter BS.

Personally, I don't care if it's a 30-second delay. I'm still not switching to Chrome as my default PC browser. Firefox's countless addons and better privacy make it an infinitely superior browser regardless of minor speed differences. My larger concern is I've seen several other high-profile websites starting to have compatibility issues – mostly minor, but still – with Firefox in the past year, so this kind of scummy tactics may force more casual users to switch.
Ditto...I typically only use firefox. This changes nothing and wouldn't change even if they outright broke YT on firefox.

Last edited:
Instructions aren't clear on how to add the uBlock filter. So from https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/17tm9rp/comment/k9i62zu/

Click on uBO icon > ⚙ Dashboard button > Add the filter(s) in "My filters" pane > ✓ Apply changes > Open new tab and test again.

Hdr is also missing from YouTube on Firefox, is that googles doing also?
No. HDR support was added for the macOS version: https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/03/firefox-100-hdr-video-mac/

I can't find the post, but the excuse I found from the dev team was processing an HDR video is complicated and there are bigger fish to fry.

This war on adblockers, which is certainly part of why this happened, will backfire as they always do..
yup.
last yr Twitch went rabid to try and fight em and kept makign uopdates every few hrs to break blocker fixes.

They realized that it wasn't winnable and now they basically gave up.

Google will learn that too.

& if they purposefully do harm other web browsers (and its provable in a court) they will not like outcome.

I have never liked Chrome (yes early on it was good but still disliked interface then)

now-a-days its not soemthign special as other browsers have caught up.

Firefox until I die & if someday YT block it? well guess I will have to touch grass more? (not like i havent done it when I cut off FB)

HaninTH

Proper
Oct 3, 2023
Let us not forget that a sizable portion of Firefox's financial funding comes from Alphabet/Google by way of the default search engine "fund".

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't get this, instead ever since Friday, when I scroll down the recommended page, it jumps back up to show videos I have already seen. Its annoying as I do have Premium and they still messing with me.
Latest version of Firefox

its funny as I can't see any videos at all on Chrome, its been broken for months. Its why I use Firefox to start with.
Not going to use Edge... pass.

Google made 80% of its revenue in 2021 from just Advertising. That is why they care so much, they may paint it as protecting security but its really about more profit. How dare people not share their data... the bots won't learn otherwise.

I stopped using Chrome when it added a targeted ads option. None wasn't an option it offered. I rejected it.

I agree that brave is the better options here, Chromium based, no delay, privacy, adblockers integrated and keeps chrome campatibility in websites or addons. Firefox is long dead for me because it has performance issues and crashes for general browsing.

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Google is lying. I have the Privacy Badger and UBlock Origin ad blocker addon in Firefox and in Chrome. YouTube videos misbehave on Firefox, and run fine in Chrome. It has been like that for long time. And it's not just some 5-second delay. There are mid-video slowdowns, video re-starts, other interruption on Firefox, never on Chrome.

Google, you are a bunch of dirty suckers!

Originally, when YouTube videos started having problem in Firefox, I immediately through "I bet Google is doing this on purpose. I bet the videos will play just fine in Chrome" So I switch to Chrome to test out my 'theory'. My 'theory' became fact

Last edited:
I went back to Firefox after years of using Chrome because was more convenient as FF lacked a lot of functionality. It has been a nice come back to form for me, being back to FF and enjoying it.

I'll uninstall Chrome shortly and just get rid of it in all my devices after FF runs without issues for more than a month.

No friggen wonder Google removed their "do no evil" slogan.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.