Google Buys Bumptop for Flashy Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
This is the kind of natural interface that could finally make my mom to clean her desktop. Her PC's desktop is far more messy than my room was when I was a child.

I'll still be a mouse and keyboard user for a long time, but I can clearly see how this type of interfaces can help allot of people for witch computers are (still) not intuitive.

bravura

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Looks pretty, but is it really productive? I mean in real life I have not just a dozen of pictures, but tousands of different files, including latex files, source code, mathematica notebooks, pdf and ps files. Some files have multiple versions organized by date modified, some live in repositories,... I need to be effective, I don't wanna play a game.

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I played around with this months ago and it made me feel quite queazy. Maybe it was their choice of wall textures or the perspective, but I kept wishing there was a hand-rail I could grab onto whilst emptying the contents of my stomach into an imaginary sea.

pluripotent

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
how many people actually have touch screens for their desktops or laptops? They are pretty expensive and usually smaller (and probably only really useful in specific circumstances). I've never seen them in a laptop. This might be cool for phones, but then the screen is maybe too small.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I personally like to keep my desktop clean and organized, so I don't use bumptop much, but I have it installed and use it when I have a large project, makes things easier to organize in my opinion.

I wonder how google will go with this, it'll be really cool to see this on a phone or something (shake the phone to align to grid for example).

G

Works great with the mouse, check out this youtube video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GLzI0DYyik&feature=player_embedded

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
This could really work well with all those new windows tablets. I'd still rather use a mouse on my desktop rather than get dirty fingers on the screen though. Interesting idea.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]I'm debating whether to grab it up... but I'm not sure...[/citation]
It's free and it looks cool. In my book that's good enough reason to download a copy to try out. Plus the install file is only 17 MB

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Wow imaging using two hands to do gestures like that on a small smartphone screen. I'd look kinda goofy. Maybe then this is intended for a larger LCD touchscreen? If so, I wonder how many of the people who have bought HP all in one touchscreen systems that actually use their fingers on a daily basis on their screens? I bet they all when back to their keyboard and mice on day 2...

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Cool, But I still don't see exactly why these things deserve patents. I read on some other article that this will give Google a way to defend against some upcoming Apple patents.

I can see how the screen technology is patentable. I can see how the 3D acceleration algorithm and hardware can be patented. But once you get to the point of moving the finger or fingers around on the screen, it just seems obvious and totally unpatentable.

Status
Not open for further replies.