Question Google Chrome and Mircosoft Edge both slow startup?

DampeN

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
Hello!
First off, I wasn't sure where to post this thread so I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong category.

Recently I've noticed Google Chrome takes about 10 seconds to open from a fresh boot (and even if I have closed down the program).
I followed some guides on how to fix it by disabling plugins, reinstalling and even reset my network.
After testing some other browsers I've noticed Microsoft Edge was just as slow at starting up while Internet Explorer loaded instantly.
I tried to ping my DefaultGateway with these resaults:

Pinging 192.168.87.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.87.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.87.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

I am currently sitting on a i9-9900K, 1080ti, 970 EVO PLUS (where Chrome is installed) and have 32GB RAM at 3200MHz.

Thank you,
Mark

@DampeN

So, I would have assumed it was a plug-in slowing your start time, especially since IE starts fast, but other browsers don't. Sounds like you have looked into this, but please take a second look just to be sure.

If that's not it, the problem will be a bit harder to track down. I would run a virus scan (you probably already have) to rule that out. Also look for any network monitoring or VPN software that might be starting. Then I would open the resource monitor and watch what's using CPU time, drive time, and network as your browsers start. Also look at the TCP connections that are opened. You can use a reverse IP lookup (like mxtoolbox) to make sure they all seem legit. Hopefully that will point you in the direction of the culprit.

DampeN

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
Hello and thank you for your reply!
Unfortunately I have not been able to narrow down my problem yet.
I get an error message whenever I type in an IP on mxtoolbox.

My problem does however not seem to be internet related since it takes the browser window about 10 seconds to open on Chrome and Edge.