Google Chrome Now Has 200 Million Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i have chrome and firefox open, both doing different things, does it take this into account, as i can imagine this is a normal setup for people who use alternative browsers.

flips

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
lol I don't believe this I just switched from chrome because of how shitty it is, Ad block barely worked and got annoyed of having to click off full screen popup windows...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]flips[/nom]lol I don't believe this I just switched from chrome because of how shitty it is, Ad block barely worked and got annoyed of having to click off full screen popup windows...[/citation]

where do you go to have those problems?

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]where do you go to have those problems?[/citation]

AboveTopSecret.com ..it is a legit safe website but I noticed that the pop up blocker in google chrome does not work all the time. It indicates it is blocking a pop up but then the pop up displays anyway.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]AboveTopSecret.com ..it is a legit safe website but I noticed that the pop up blocker in google chrome does not work all the time. It indicates it is blocking a pop up but then the pop up displays anyway.[/citation]

Just went there and clicked around via random links with no issues.. Maybe one of your ABP settings are off?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]AboveTopSecret.com ..it is a legit safe website but I noticed that the pop up blocker in google chrome does not work all the time. It indicates it is blocking a pop up but then the pop up displays anyway.[/citation]

i'm using a addon called flash block for chrome, try that out, with that side you said, i got no popups on the 20 pages i clicked on

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
So when you going to install directly into Program Files instead of user directories? Wasn't the reason why they did that to inject into the market quicker by bypassing UAC?

chrome, and internet explorer might end up with 35 share each and firefox might end up with 22% or less.
i use firefox and am quite tired of their 'rapid-release-screw up release-release patch-discover new bugs-focus on next beta' schedule.
i hope firefox can hold it's share and chrome takes up more and more internet explorer users :p

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
i have it installed, , NEWER used it yet, its all bull balls, since the software extremely internet aggressive and would update when it wants and send reports of its dominance.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Using Chrome now, for everything except development (well slightly for that too). It's a great browser, but it still has room for improvement. For example, Firefox has a better hardware acceleration. Their latest Azure graphics API they built on their own to get the most out of your computer to deliver a great user experience was a respectable move from Mozilla.

However, Chrome is still lacking proper hardware acceleration and I can feel it on many graphics heavy websites. Just try to scroll up and down and compare the feeling with Firefox, which is smooth. Firefox even hardware accelerates the scrolling and it is very smooth. Chrome has no smooth scrolling support except the latest beta if you turn on the flag which sometimes causes problems and does not work with my mouse's "universal scroll" (middle click).

Chrome has faster networking in general, and faster scripting engine, but the graphics rendering is slower than that of Firefox's. I have also noticed that Firefox has far faster WebSocket initialization that Chrome. That really bugs me in a few software that use it including my current dev project.

G

wow and still they can't get three finger scrolling up and down to work on osx..

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]flips[/nom]lol I don't believe this I just switched from chrome because of how shitty it is, Ad block barely worked and got annoyed of having to click off full screen popup windows...[/citation]

I totally agree with you. And it's not only adblocking that is not working nearly as good as in firefox. Lot's of other plugins are either missing entirely or just work as bad as the adblockers.
Flash blocking is another thing that I never found someting that worked as good as the firefox one.
I really think that Firefox is for the more serious users who rely on a lot of plug-ins.
And the speed difference is neglible nowadays. In fact, for anything, with the false adblocker in Chrome (which just hides but still loads the ads)I often find it much slower than Firefox!

lutel

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Chrome is not only fastest, but gives largest page estate, have all the plugins that I used on Firefox (firebug,adblock and some devel ones). Most of the development im doing on Chrome and all casual browsing, it gives overall the best browsing experience. Sync of all settings/passwords/favs with my gmail account and i have it on every computer. Chrome wins hands down.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
The first time I tried Chrome I clicked a URL from my email and Chrome opened. I was like, "WTF?". I realized that when I updated CCleaner I must have forgotten to uncheck the Chrome install. Needless to say, pissed me off. I don't like anyone telling me what browser I have to use, much less automatically agreeing to a license agreement and making it the default browser, all because I hit the next button before paying close attention. I'm usually really good at catching these sneak tactics too.

This is the main reason that I have witnessed that Chrome's numbers are so high--it integrates with so many program installs. Most people I know who are normally IE users because they don't know better leave the checkboxes checked when installing Java updates for Ask Toolbars, Bing Toolbars, and Chrome. To me it is an underhanded tactic that is far worse, in my opinion, than what Microsoft did integrating IE into Windows. I mean, to automatically agree to Google's license agreement without ticking a checkbox. Microsoft aren't saints either (Bing toolbar), but I'm not comfortable installing Chrome due to my first experience with it.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]lutel[/nom]Chrome is not only fastest, but gives largest page estate, have all the plugins that I used on Firefox (firebug,adblock and some devel ones). Most of the development im doing on Chrome and all casual browsing, it gives overall the best browsing experience. Sync of all settings/passwords/favs with my gmail account and i have it on every computer. Chrome wins hands down.[/citation]

You haven't tried the latest firefox updates, have you? The screen real estate is now about the same. As is the speed. Firefox also has sync.

Everything can be boiled down to that Firefox now has got all the things that previously made many people choose Chrome over FF and it still retains the superior plug-in functionallity!
I think lots of people, like you, haven't realized this yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.