Google Makes Translate Better With New Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Unfortunately their translator works horribly and generally doesn't take into account sentence structure or grammar. That's from my experience at least, having 4 years of a second language under my belt.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Unfortunately their translator works horribly and generally doesn't take into account sentence structure or grammar. That's from my experience at least, having 4 years of a second language under my belt.[/citation]

Yeah, I spent forever trying to find something that wasn't grammatically incorrect for the screenshot. I eventually gave up.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Google has one of the best translations I've known.. Most software rely only on word to word translation whilst google does a great job by keeping the meaning of the phrases. I usually translate from other languages to Portuguese (Brazilian) and I get great results. Of course, it's not 100% but it's pretty close, and I usually help by sending the correct translation back to google (fixing any mistakes that the translation creates)..

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It's cool! Just think that 10 years ago you would have had to buy a dictionary and find each word and that still you would have only been able to compose a literal translation. At least with this it's free, easy, fast and a bit more accurate, not to mention totally convenient. Though I think google has the money and the brainpower to create the code for a great translation engine - which would take into account sentence structure, etc. Good effort though!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Well well, the little Irish girl uses a mac![/citation]

She's a female, I'm sure she thinks its cute or goes with her purse.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]RicardoK[/nom]I usually translate from other languages to Portuguese (Brazilian) and I get great results..[/citation]

But when it´s the other side arround, from English to Portuguese (Portugal) it´s frequent to see really bad translations.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
The last part of my message did not appear.

I was replying to RicardoK, that when it´s english to Portuguese (Standard) it´s frequent to have bad translations, but it´s still a good free service by Google

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]She's a female, I'm sure she thinks its cute or goes with her purse.[/citation]

And yes, it's super cute and while it doesn't go with my purse, it does fit in it.

mmahoney

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
It's impossible to type in Japanese with Microsoft IME on the new translator. It removes what you type mid word. Quite obnoxious.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
It's good that google added some features to its translator, but generally y use the www.wordreference.com forums, there you post, and it's translated by other forum users, which I've found to be very knowledgeable.

bipolargraph

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I translated "lol" from english to arabic nd I got a
"laughing in a loud voice" in arabic.

If you somehow make a multi-language chat room, you can use this on the fly.

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Previsiblemente, la calidad de las traducciones sigue siendo intermedia. Funciona mejor con palabras sueltas, o grupos de pocas palabras, que con oraciones complejas.

Moral: don't give up your foreign language studies just yet.

BTW, I didn't know that Irish had accents, and I'm surprised to see that "you" is written the same way in two languages as dissimilar as Irish and Spanish ("tú")

G

Irish and spanish are both based on latin (like most european languages) so you will find alot of similarities!

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]wobbles-grogan[/nom]Irish and spanish are both based on latin (like most european languages) so you will find alot of similarities![/citation]
While Spanish IS based on Latin (like Italian, French, Portuguese or Romanian), AFAIK the Irish language doesn't have its roots in Latin, although it may have borrowed many words from it, just like English (another language that's not based on Latin) did.
But such basic words as "you" are very unlikely to have been borrowed from Latin because they most probably precede the influence of Latin on the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.