Google Not Building Additional Windows 8, WP8 Apps For Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Why exactly do I need all these dedicated Google apps on my Windows Phone again?[/citation]

Because if you are coming from the Android ecosystem it makes migration easier.
Now that most of that stuff isn't available through apps, I'm less inclined to get a Lumia 920.

That and I'll lose all of my Google app Purchases.

weierstrass

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Why exactly do I need all these dedicated Google apps on my Windows Phone again?[/citation]
I totally agree, why do we need those apps when nobody else is using Windows based phones beside your?

twelve25

Distinguished
makes sense. Google isn't going to help Microsoft gain traction. If they do end up gaining a sizable user base, then demand will force Google to make apps for Windows phones.

And whoever said they'd lose their google apps purchases, that's a given considering those apps won't run on a windows OS.

G

Bluestacks may help with that issue of google app purchases, but that's only maginally useful to some users.

Also there's no reason to complain when you can use a web version which we've probably have been using long before dedicated apps.

shadarlo

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
These are the types of games companies play when they're getting too big for their britches. Google can play these silly games if they wish but they need to realize Android/iOS are what people use to play, Windows is what people use to get stuff done. Windows drives the world still, the others are able to exist because of it.

Gmail may be tops right now, but if Google decides to stop innovating to spite Microsoft they risk being surpassed by a company who is truly trying to "Do no evil" and deliver a quality product to their users. I am extremely annoyed by the lack of a Gmail client and this shows a piss poor attitude similar to the one Apple shows in the games they play with the maps app and patent lawsuits. I expect more of Google but perhaps I shouldn't.

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Makes sense, Windows 8 market share is five times less than that of Windows 7 at the same point in its lifecycle (1% marketshare of 1.6 billion Windows machines = 16 milliion including pirated copies at the beginning of December), and lots of those users aren't even using Metro - where Windows 8 apps would be - so it makes sense for Google not to invest in such a small user base and not help Microsoft gain a larger Metro userbase.

If W8/WP8 devices take off, I'm sure Google will make apps for them, but at this point they could make a better case developing apps for BlackBerry.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
The vast majority of people have spoken on Windows 8 and those vast majority of people are stiking with Windows 7. I said it since the beta the the introduction of metro in windows 8 on pc's and the lack of a start menu killed Windows 8 before it was ever final. Then they went a step even further and took out aero before the RTM adding more unsult to injury.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I'm surprised most of you thumbed me down.
It's like none of you realize that moving platforms is a significant move?

Moving to any platform, I would have to leave my hundreds of app purchases, movies etc behind..
Migration would be easier if they ported the Movies and Gmail apps over at least, but why would Google help out a competitor?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I'm surprised most of you thumbed me down.It's like none of you realize that moving platforms is a significant move?Moving to any platform, I would have to leave my hundreds of app purchases, movies etc behind..Migration would be easier if they ported the Movies and Gmail apps over at least, but why would Google help out a competitor?[/citation]

Don't worry about it, it's Microsoft PR social bots doing their rounds. Too bad they can't do anything about dismal sales and low market share.

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]shadarlo[/nom]These are the types of games companies play when they're getting too big for their britches. Google can play these silly games if they wish but they need to realize Android/iOS are what people use to play, Windows is what people use to get stuff done. Windows drives the world still, the others are able to exist because of it.Gmail may be tops right now, but if Google decides to stop innovating to spite Microsoft they risk being surpassed by a company who is truly trying to "Do no evil" and deliver a quality product to their users. I am extremely annoyed by the lack of a Gmail client and this shows a piss poor attitude similar to the one Apple shows in the games they play with the maps app and patent lawsuits. I expect more of Google but perhaps I shouldn't.[/citation]

It isn't a game. How dare Google not produce products for a platform they don't see any demand for yet! Really?

>Android/iOS are what people use to play, Windows is what people use to get stuff done.

No, Windows are what people use who are either too young or too newbie to understand "vendor lock-in", or something they're resigned to being stuck with for the time being. You can "get stuff done" with Android, iOS, OS X, Linux, BSD and Windows. At this stage of the game, they're all full-featured.

>Windows drives the world still,

Windows doesn't "drive the world"... not in servers, not in supercomputers, not in embedded, not in mobile, not in stock exchanges, etc. It has a monopoly on the desktop courtesy of being first and this monopoly produces vendor lock-in which leads many people to either need it or think they need it. This is why South Korea is stuck using ancient buggy versions of Internet Explorer and the security nightmare ActiveX for all of its financial transactions... it was mandated at one point and then vendor lock-in occurred and now they're stuck with it. Even with no longer requiring it, the existing user base creates vendor lock-in and like gravitational pull it becomes hard to escape (those not willing to move away hold the rest back). One independent presidential candidate has even made it a plank in his platform to get rid of ActiveX! Would you say ActiveX is "driving" South Korea? Other than adding the word "crazy", no. The big innovations today are revolving around virtualization, the cloud, and big data, and Windows isn't leading/driving in any of those areas. In fact, in regards to big data, every major product in the category today is open source!

>the others are able to exist because of it.

I assure you neither iOS nor Android need Windows to exist. Heck, neither Apple nor Google run Windows on their general PCs (one guess as to what Apple runs and Google uses a modified version of Ubuntu).

>Gmail may be tops right now, but if Google decides to stop innovating to spite Microsoft

Releasing a Windows 8 app hardly qualifies as "innovating". Google is working on driverless cars... now THAT'S innovating!

> they risk being surpassed by a company who is truly trying to "Do no evil" and deliver a quality
>product to their users.

No one is going to surpass Google in search or advertising anytime soon, and if they do, it'll have nothing to do with Windows 8 email apps. Not supporting Metro is hardly "doing evil". MS' locking Metro apps into the Windows Store - that's another story.

> I am extremely annoyed by the lack of a Gmail client

Again... being locked into the Windows Store doesn't bother you at all, but the lack of Gmail client is what has you annoyed about Windows 8? Running software like your PC is one giant phone doesn't bother you either?

>and this shows a piss poor attitude similar to the one Apple shows in the games they play with the
>maps app and patent lawsuits. I expect more of Google but perhaps I shouldn't.

OK if Google not releasing a Gmail client for Windows 8 and Windows 8 phone is a piss poor attitude, please tell me how you view Microsoft not releasing Office or Internet Explorer or Visual Studio or Access for Linux using the exact same criteria you're using to judge Google. I await the undoubtedly interesting results of this thought experiment, although let's just say I doubt the results will surprise me much.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Honestly, I've been using Windows 8 for the past week and have already decided it time to upgrade all of my PCs, netbook included. Ultimately, it's an amazing operating system. I've found that anyone who complains about Metro Tiles as their number one reason for not wanting Windows 8 (and the lack of a start menu is included in that) is honestly just complaining about aesthetics. It has not hampered productivity at all, I still get stuff done just as fast(if not faster!) than I did before, granted it took a week to get the thing down, and even still I'm learning different features.

Google's lack of "dedicated apps" hinders nothing on my agenda. Chrome still runs and that's fine by me. It's a good back up browser as IE10 is just as amazing as the OS it comes packaged with.

Overall, for $40, if you're not buying Windows 8, I believe you'll end up regretting not buying it while it was this cheap. As for this "Windows Store" garbage I keep hearing... You're honestly retarded if this is what you believe to be the "major evil" Microsoft is committing.

I honestly wish people here would stop reading reviews from idiots and just try the damned thing yourself.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]snowzsan[/nom]Honestly, I've been using Windows 8 for the past week and have already decided it time to upgrade all of my PCs, netbook included. Ultimately, it's an amazing operating system. I've found that anyone who complains about Metro Tiles as their number one reason for not wanting Windows 8 (and the lack of a start menu is included in that) is honestly just complaining about aesthetics. .[/citation]

Removing the start menu goes beyond personal taste, the start menu is an functionality that serves purpose in the generel computing world which is why many people disliked the idea that ms removed the start menu and as good as some 3rd party programs are at trying oo replicate the start menu like classic shell it's not as good as having the actual start menu itself that's native to the OS.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]snowzsan[/nom]Honestly, I've been using Windows 8 for the past week and have already decided it time to upgrade all of my PCs, netbook included. Ultimately, it's an amazing operating system.[/citation]

Astroturf harder. Microsoft is doing everything they can to drag their existing Windows user base into their failed mobile ecosystem, and now it's backfiring, with abysmal sales of everything Windows branded. Enjoy your smartphone user interface along with less than 2% of PC users - I'm skipping this one, even if they start giving it away for free.

Windows 7 until 2020 (or until Microsoft comes to their senses)

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
THANK GOD. I want Win8 to die a quick death. Thanks google. Now if we can just get everyone to do the same we won't have to put up with what microsoft wants us to have next time. Perhaps they'll actually design what we WANT instead. Just fix win7 and re-release it please as osr2 etc. Put DX11.1 & 12 in, with a quick purchase of a company like xplorer2 or TotalCommander so you can replace windows explorer in win7. I'd upgrade to that for $50. :) Quit mucking with the stuff that works and just fix the crap that doesn't. Either that or rewrite the whole thing from scratch in 64bit, so it comes in at a GB or two instead of bloatware 20GB. Take out all the crapware (moviemaker, mediaplayer, DVD maker etc, AV/defender etc, outlook express) which we all replace or just don't even use or ever need. I can download a better free product of all of this stuff (comodo,AVG, Imgburn, VLCplayer,UMplayer,KMplayer, thunderbird, multiavchd, etc for email blah blah blah). You just might be able to produce an OS then that works on both phones & desktops that really runs fast and small.

Anyone who says win8 is amazing, is either working for MS or just has no idea how real people use PC's. This OS will slow down anyone who used any previous OS and you'll never get as fast as you were using the OLD OS (7 or xp). Win8 has no place on a PC. The amount of productivity lost to this OS per company will be huge if any IT dept is dumb enough to roll this out (which should get you fired immediately for even suggesting it - this is Vista again people!). Better yet, just keep going MS, I'm hoping google will kill your OS next year or two with Chrome/webgl etc. Once DirectX is dead, windows has no use for me. I'm only on this OS because of IT and gaming at home. Heck you could bring back XP with DX12 and I'd be a lot happier than even win7. I'd give $150 for that :) as long as it came with no accessories (no IE, no Moviemaker, etc etc).

shadarlo

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
[citation]Anyone who says win8 is amazing, is either working for MS or just has no idea how real people use PC's. This OS will slow down anyone who used any previous OS and you'll never get as fast as you were using the OLD OS (7 or xp). [/citation]

Have you even used Windows 8? It is undoubtedly faster than Windows 7 for everyday tasks. It boots FAR faster, it loads programs far faster, it is just a faster experience in everything except gaming. I think you give yourself away as a gamer, not someone who uses windows for work.

My office is switching over some users to Windows 8 and all of these users are raving about how fast their computers are. Note, they did not get new computers, ONLY upgraded from Win7 to Win8.

It's the best Windows to date.

I love Google and I love Android, but Android is a consumption based OS. Windows is a production based OS and still allows me to consume data better. A computer with Win8 is faster and easier to use than Android is.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
This announcement is not going to do a dang thing to keep me on Android. I have already made up my mind to go to WP8 regardless.

Only real google app I will miss is the maps/navigation apps but I plan on getting a Nokia WP8 phone which I hear has great its own awesome navigation app anyways.

[citation][nom]somebodyspecial[/nom].Anyone who says win8 is amazing, is either working for MS or just has no idea how real people use PC's. This OS will slow down anyone who used any previous OS and you'll never get as fast as you were using the OLD OS (7 or xp). Win8 has no place on a PC.[/citation]

It is quite obvious you have never used Windows 8 even for one minute because your entire post is nothing but untrue uninformed drivel. As for productively Windows 8 is faster to navigate than Windows 7 or XP and that is fact instead of crap like your post.

So with Windows 7 to get to a program in the start menu you first click the Start Menu then All Programs then scroll to the folder then click the folder and finally click on the program you want.

Windows 8 click on the Metro Menu scroll to the program and click to run it that is it. By the time you find the program in Windows 7 I have already started the program and am using it. Then there is the fact that Windows 8 starts faster shutsdown faster app's and games start faster and run better so you can stick with your Windows 7 and be slower or better yet move your ass to Linux and leave gaming and productivity to people that really know how to use a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.