Google Says Desktops Will Be Irrelevant in 3 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
5GB bandwidth cap, 1/5th the speed of the lowest Cable internet tiers, and $50 a month which is $15 more then what I pay for my PC. Yeah I don't think desktops are going anywheres.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I just can't wait to ditch my PC for a 3" screen, a keyboard with buttons so small that I hit 4 at a time, and 1 minute loading times for Google searches.

/Sarcasm.

G

you tell that to my clients who still hold onto their 5yr old xp boxes,no desktops will still be around for many years to come!

Info on mobiles is useful, but screen size will always be their downfall if they were for all and every day use!

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I love the constant Anti-desktop raving. For Design work, and any type of video work desktops will be preferred by most users (not necessary PC, but at least macs).

I would prefer to see Consoles being obsolete in 3 years with home theaters being inter-connected with PC's.

G

It is a silly comment, and while he is correct in pointing out the growing importance of mobiles, the idea that office workers, graphics designers, and so on, will be working on a 3-inch screen and keyboard is .... ridiculous.

We may get some virtual tech going in a few decades, using Wii-style interaction or even brain-controlled, but it won't be anytime soon.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
You will always need a desktop in some form or another. All in One desktops I could see being the majority but that's the extent of it. I still need my desktop for video and audio production work.

G

That's a ridiculous statement. I don't have a smart phone, and have no intentions of getting one. I can see using a smart phone as a phone, and as a PIM, but to use the internet or do email on one is an exercise in frustration. The screens are simple WAY too small to use regularly.

I love technology, but I'll live without the internet before I'd give up my dual 23" monitors. Progress requires change, but not all change is progress.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
If that is the only option in the future, i am going to Linux and keep my files and my OS on my computer. Otherwise i wont use computer anymore so they can shovel their idea of Cloud Computing up to their ass :)

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I can see it for gaming too - eventually. Look at the PC and console games of 10 years ago as compared to the hardware, then realize how many of these are playable on battery-powered handhelds today. Big monitors are nice but with 3D goggles rapidly improving there isn't a whole lot of reason for a desktop. The remaining limitation are input devices like keyboards but with motion sensing improvements even that could go away eventually.

Riverama

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Designers, CADers, Developers, Artists, Researchers, Gamers, etc. all have in common a need for powerful hardware to run their specific systems on, of course to check mail and wordpress you can do it on whatever mobile platform you've got, to get real work done, you need raw power.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
So Google wants to cut out those of us who have no mobile service at all where we live??? And I wouldn't buy a crappy data plan anyway as I can get more done much faster with what I already have.

Microsoft won't take my desktop from me and neither will Google!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
This kind of thing is just self-serving propoganda.

For many users now a good laptop can replace their desktop computer. I even thought about it for my home use but decided I wasn't quite there and instead built a new desktop computer and bought a new monitor. In my business use anything less than the most powerful box I can build just wouldn't work. (OK, I'm a little behind now with a dual core at 3.8GHz and dual 22" monitors, but in another 18 months I can build a new machine.)

Status
Not open for further replies.