Google: We Can Be Trusted With Your Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I don't trust any organization that collects personal info, without full disclosure. Google collects lots of info through its search engine, and holds it for several months. I accept that as a trade-off to use its services (+ the ads). But since I use it for searching, I won't set up a Gmail account, that's too much personal info with one organization. Paranoid? Yes, but I cannot rely on an organization to safeguard my info - they can change their policies and practices at any time.

I trust them. They dont even need to try to gather data, we give it all to them for free with our emails and searches, if they wanted to do bad things with it they would have already. I trust them with my info a hell of a lot more than i trust facebook.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Well I say Google might not be all the good and ethical they claim they are but at least they care to pretend, unlike most. If I had to chose any of the computer giants to trust it would be Google. Better none at all but nowadays it's pretty dificult to not slip ANY personal data into the internet.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I'll trust them until they do something wrong. and then I'll sue them, then probably never trust them again.

I'm not one of these people who believes its only a matter of time until google does something evil, because they are soo big. I think people have seen too many movies. Google has never done anything even remotely wrong by me, and they constantly bring out good, USEFUL product at a price I can't complain about. so for me it is very much a matter of IF not WHEN, and if it does happen - and I'm not saying it isn't possible - we can rest assured that the lawyers will sort them out good and proper.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
My thing is, if the Germans didn't audit Google, then would they have came out and said "Whops guys we collected some unprotected WiFi data!..our bad!"

Probably not.

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]treefrog07[/nom]No. I don't trust any organization that collects personal info, without full disclosure. Google collects lots of info through its search engine, and holds it for several months. I accept that as a trade-off to use its services (+ the ads). But since I use it for searching, I won't set up a Gmail account, that's too much personal info with one organization. Paranoid? Yes, but I cannot rely on an organization to safeguard my info - they can change their policies and practices at any time.[/citation]

Wihtout full disclosure? Read the privacy policy. They follow it to the letter. Any time they violate something, they apologize and fix their mess.

G

my daily day2day to do list on the internet is heavily rely on a few of google's service and the trade of giving some of my personal info for a better internet experience is acceptable to a certain extend for me.
Beside, it's not like Google is the only one gather our personal info. Many other companies are doing it as well but are not as willingly to discuss this topic as google is

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Well, the first paragraph was so full of bullshit about "accidental" harvesting of data that I almost didn't read the rest.
Honestly, if you truly believe that all the data harvesting was an "accident" I'd ask why you're not sharing your obviously good drugs with me!
Because if you believe it was an accident, you are either on some other planet, or on drugs!
YOU CANT HARVEST THAT MUCH DATA WITHOUT KNOWING YOU ARE DOING IT!
And for them to say, oh we didn't realize we were doing this is total crap!

mrmez

Splendid
The mood is shifting against Google.

Not too long ago they were seen as altruistic, cyber do-gooders, making our virtual world a better place.

Now... not so much. Careful guys. The public are finicky and can turn in an instant.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Google is evil. Avoid them and all of their products and services like the plague. Seriously.

“If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place. But if you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines – including Google – do retain this information for some time. And it’s important, for example, that we’re all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act... it is possible that that information could be made available to the authorities.”

---Google CEO Eric Schmidt on your privacy and data

Aleatoire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I don't know if I would say I trust them, but I use the internet and there is obviously a risk in doing so. I'm willing to take that risk and so if a company such as Google want's to keep information about me then it's pretty much my problem for using the internet in the first place. So really I couldn't care less. Anyway it's pretty unlikely Google would use your information to do anything that would actually effect you.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I switched to Bing because Google can keep your search data indefinitely and Microsoft says it will only keep it two years. Not a perfect solution, but it will do.

As much as I appreciate Google's open stance towards criticism (as opposed to Apple) I still don't trust Google entirely, much less providing them with data.

Among the necessary evils - I'd rather choose Bing over Google. Same goes for the browser.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]bebangs[/nom]Well, you shouldn't use google if you dont trust them.[/citation]
I agree, I never trusted google so i stopped using it and switched to Bing, besides being better (obv imo but can be a fact), your info would be in good hands

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I agree, I never trusted google so i stopped using it and switched to Bing, besides being better (obv imo but can be a fact), your info would be in good hands

Anytime you type anything into a forum chat, or email someone, or play a game, if its not encrypted and sometimes even if it is encrypted someone can read it, In other words if someone wants to know what YOUR doing on the internet bad enough there are ways to get it done. That includes BING, GOOGLE, YAHOO, and your mom's recipe for chicken kiev. Anytime you use the internet you take the chance of someone seeing what you are doing. So I use Google, knowing full well that someone might be tracking what I'm doing, If i want to do something that I dont want anyone to know about there are tools out there for that.

G

LOL paranoid people in the world.
the only people that have a problem with their data is the people who has something to hide or who has a crappy administrator managing their security of their wi-fi or assess to their resources. nobody is responsible for their security except themselves.
you go GOOGLE....great job all round.

poorya_user

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I never see anything bad about this company and it is not square to say that they are using or taking advantage of me and my personal informations.

Status
Not open for further replies.