[SOLVED] Got a 3090, PC runs worse than before (possibly power supply issue?)

Bakbak1

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Hey all,

I recently upgraded my graphics card from a strix 2080ti to a Gigabyte Gaming 3090. I completely wiped my PC to give it a fresh start aswell. The first time I booted the pc up using the 3090, I noticed some performing issues, it just didn't feel as smooth. I booted up Cold War to give it a test, it gave me about 20 FPS during gameplay. This was later fixed by changing my BIOS PCI settings to PCI gen 3. But even after that the game gave me about 80 frames per second on max settings, my 2080ti would give me around 150. Even apps such as photoshop become tedious to use. I'll list off my parts for you to get a better understanding:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra ( GPU is plugged into the top slot)

Power supply: Corsair TX750W Gold (I read that 750 is the bare mininum, would like to get a better understanding first of the issue before buying a better one)

Procesor: i9-9900K

Graphics card: Gigabyte 3090 GAMING

4x16 3000mhz ram sticks

Windows is updated, correct drivers are installed

I believe the power supply could be an issue, but better to ask people who have a better understanding before getting a better one. Any help is greatly appreciated, if additional information is needed let me know.

Solution
I don't think it's the PSU, but you're pushing the limits. Assuming 400 watts on the GPU and 300 on the CPU (assuming absolute max power consumption) that leaves 50 watts for the rest of the components.

I'd suggest also monitoring the power usage of your 3090 during a stress test/gaming scenario.

Final thing, don't use userbenchmark for serious benchmark runs, it might be okay for basic troubleshooting but it's horrible for other kinds of testing. If you're serious with benchmarks get 3DMark, it's basic version is free from steam.
Jun 27, 2021
All seems good in that screenshot, cheers for providing that.

It's commonly known that Warzone and Cold War have performance issues on the 30 series cards, myself included.

For what it's worth, are you able to do a userbenchmark, and post the link to the result here? :)

Jun 27, 2021
Although performing at a satisfactory level, it looks like the majority of your components are slightly limited. They all are on the lower-end of the benchmark results, which means PSU could be a problem as you mentioned. The 30 series cards can have massive power spikes, and that can disrupt power to your components as you'll be hitting the power-ceiling.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Your memory isn't running at 3000Mhz.

Showing CPU and drive performance are down, do you have background tasks running that you are aware of? If not, I would look towards running a thorough anti-virus and anti-malware suite.

Bakbak1

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Your memory isn't running at 3000Mhz.

Showing CPU and drive performance are down, do you have background tasks running that you are aware of? If not, I would look towards running a thorough anti-virus and anti-malware suite.
I don't have any programs running in the background no, I barely have any programs because I completely re-installed windows after putting in the card. I gave malwarebytes (first program I installed after re-installing windows) deep scan a go, didn't find anything.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
The common denominators for all the components running below the expected speeds are A) the power supply and B) the motherboard. You say you already eliminated the possibility of parasitic drag from bloatware or malware running in the background, so those are the two places to start the investigation.

Reactions: Bakbak1

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
I don't think it's the PSU, but you're pushing the limits. Assuming 400 watts on the GPU and 300 on the CPU (assuming absolute max power consumption) that leaves 50 watts for the rest of the components.

I'd suggest also monitoring the power usage of your 3090 during a stress test/gaming scenario.

Final thing, don't use userbenchmark for serious benchmark runs, it might be okay for basic troubleshooting but it's horrible for other kinds of testing. If you're serious with benchmarks get 3DMark, it's basic version is free from steam.

Solution