[SOLVED] Got a new GPU and now have bad screen tear and stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2022
Hi,

I just upgraded my GPU for the first time in a long long time. I went from a GTX 1650 Super to a Radeon 6650 XT. I'm happy with the nice performance upgrade but I want to know if I'm missing something.
I've been playing some of my old games( with the same settings) and some new games that I just got and every single game has really bad screentearing and most games have pretty bad stuttering.

I used to us Nvidia's "fast" vsync mode and never had to worry about screentear ever. I've had AMD's enhanced sync on since I this GPU and it seems to do absolutely nothing in any game.

Is there something I'm missing in the settings? Have I maybe got a faulty GPU?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Solution
What's your monitor? Im guessing 1080p 60hz?

Limit fps to 59. If game doesn't have a limiter then can use the limiter Amd Adrenaline includes. Run games like that with vsync on. End result should be similar to fast sync just done manually. I used to do that and didn't feel any input lag in fps games.

One day you should invest in a Freesync monitor, one that supports Nvidia (to cover both bases if you ever get Nvidia again) as well like most do nowadays.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Limit fps to 59. If game doesn't have a limiter then can use the limiter Amd Adrenaline includes. Run games like that with vsync on. End result should be similar to fast sync just done manually. I used to do that and didn't feel any input lag in fps games.

One day you should invest in a Freesync monitor, one that supports Nvidia (to cover both bases if you ever get Nvidia again) as well like most do nowadays.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 30, 2022

It's a 4k 60hz I bought years ago but I usually game in 1440p or lower res. Ok, I'll try your suggestion, thanks.

It's just a shame that AMD don't have a fast sync option like Nvidia. I now have a better gpu but have to play with lower fps because I have to use vsync to fix the unbearable tearing. I feel like I might have made a bad choice going with AMD here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS