Got an AMD FX-4100, now computer won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blippy

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I recently got a new processor and a stick of 4GB DDR3 RAM to replace my old Athlon 64 X2 processor and 2GB DDR2 RAM. However, when I powered on my computer, it wouldn't POST, and gave no beeps. I'm hoping that the CPU isn't defective, but it seems like something about it isn't functioning properly.

Putting my old CPU back in made it boot up just fine. I used my DDR2 and DDR3 RAM with it, and received the same results. Clearing CMOS and updating the BIOS didn't work either. Swapping out the 4100 for my old CPU made it boot just fine. The 4100 still gives off heat, but I don't know if that means anything.

Unfortunately I don't have any other computers that could fit this processor for testing.

Specs:
ASRock N68C-GS FX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2GB DDR2-800 RAM
Zotac Nvidia GeForce GT 440
Chiefmax 650W power supply

I'd appreciate any insight to perhaps find a solution that I didn't think of.

Solution
I don't know what it was but it works now. If any other problems come up let us know but for now select a best answer so the mods know your question was answered and can close the thread.

Did you check and look for any bent pins? How did you update the BIOS? It sounds like either the pins are bent or the motherboard can't accept that CPU.

Blippy

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

I checked the processor and there doesn't seem to be any damaged pins. I updated the BIOS though the BIOS itself, using version 1.40 from ASRock's website and putting it on a USB stick.

As for the motherboard and CPU being incompatible, that can't be right. I've seen threads that included the motherboard+CPU in their specs. Also, that same combo is also sold online.

It doesn't sound right but check the Asrocks website to make sure. If the BIOS for some reason doesn't accept the CPU out of the box you can't just stick the CPU in there and flash the BIOS. You need to get an older CPU like a PhenomII or Athlon II, put it in the socket then flash the BIOS. Then you can use the new CPU. I would think the AM3+ board would automatically accept the Bulldozer but maybe it was something weird. Also are you using DDR2 oe DDR3 RAM. You have to use DDR3 you can't use DDR2 in a DDR3 motherboard.

Blippy

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

That's exactly what I did, since with the FX-4100 installed the computer won't even POST, and mouse and keyboard won't light up.

Also, this motherboard accepts both DDR2 and DDR3 (four memory slots, two for each). In my original post, I stated that I swapped out the RAM for the other in every available slot, with no difference. Out of the box, the motherboard supports FX, Athlon, Phenom, and Sempron processors, both AM2/AM2+ and AM3/AM3+ processors.

Do you know someone else with a Bulldozer CPU. If so you can try that CPU in the board and see what happens. If everything is fine then you know your CPU is faulty. If it still does the same thing with the borrowed CPU than it's the board or something else.

BTW just as a note from the manufacture:

Note:
DDR3 and DDR2 are supported separately.
DDR3 memory is only supported by installing AM3/AM3+ CPU.
Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows 32-bit OS. For Windows 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitationI just thought of something else.

So if you are using the Bulldozer you have to use DDR3 or it won't work. DDR2 will only work with the older Sempron, Athlon and Phenom II.

The only other thing I can think of is to take it to a shop. They would probably be able to switch your CPU with another one and determine if it's the board or the CPU. However CPU's are the most reliable piece of hardware in the computer and rarely if ever go bad.

Blippy

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I believe you misread. It is stating that DDR3 only works with an AM3 processors, not that AM3 processors can only use DDR3 RAM. AM3 can still use DDR2 memory.

Anyway, I will wait a bit for any other answers before take it to a shop, since the closest one is pretty far away. I'm hoping that the processor isn't DOA, although it's starting to seem like it.

Dartz

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I think there's some problem powering up your computer. It happened to me yesterday (I have FX4100 as well) . I have 250w PSU and my keyboard and Cabinet Status Light was not working, I removed the Graphic Card and they're working fine again. I think your system is not getting sufficient power. But as you stated that you have a 650w PSU. I recommend you to test your PC on another PSU. Atleast give it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS