Question GPU boots only sometimes

Oct 14, 2024
GPU works only sometimes. I'm aware the recommended wattage requirement for this card is 500w but it honestly had worked fine for almost a year now. The problem started a couple months ago when the card wouldn't output any video, but reseating the GPU or switching the PICE power cable used to do the trick. A couple days ago the PC suddenly shut down (no BSOD or anything like that, it just shut down) and afterwards it wouldn't output any video from the card. A couple of reseats later it worked again and everything was fine. Fast-forward to yesterday I had no video the entire morning, went out and came back to it working like nothing had happened, used the pc for a bit and logged off to sleep. This morning again, no video. I tried what used to fix it, but no luck. Sometimes it booted, but after putting everything back together, not anymore.

Event viewer only shows no useful information other than inproper shutdowns when i was trying to get a signal from the card.
I've tried cleaning the drivers with DDU and reinstalling them.
Card doesn't show up in task manager or device manager (although it's hidden and says it's not connected).
Motherboard doesnt have any troubleshooting LEDs nor beeping codes as far as the manual is concerned.

I might take the PC to the shop, rule out whether is my PSU (which is almost 3 years old) or my less than a year ago bought card. Still, I'm open to hear what you guys think!

Specs:
- Ryzen 5 5600G
- Asus PRIME B450M-A II
- Silicon Power Gaming Series DDR4-3200mhz 16GB x 2
- PowerColor Fighter RX 6600 8GB
- Corsair cv450 80+ bronze

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair cv450 80+ bronze
+
A couple days ago the PC suddenly shut down (no BSOD or anything like that, it just shut down) and afterwards it wouldn't output any video from the card.
How old is the unit? Even if it was brand new, that unit isn't exactly reliable, and as such wouldn't have been used to go into a build.

Source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built 550W PSU and see if the issue is alleviated.

Oct 14, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair cv450 80+ bronze
+
A couple days ago the PC suddenly shut down (no BSOD or anything like that, it just shut down) and afterwards it wouldn't output any video from the card.
How old is the unit? Even if it was brand new, that unit isn't exactly reliable, and as such wouldn't have been used to go into a build.

Source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built 550W PSU and see if the issue is alleviated.
Thanks for the welcome! As for the age of the psu as i said before its kind of old. I didn’t really put that much thought into it when i first got it, i realized a couple years later when i looked the the tier list, but since it was working fine I didn’t change it.

I had borrowing one in mind but I dont really know that many people that had build PC’s and the ones that have, don’t hace their old psu’s around anymore. That’s mainly the reason im thinking of taking it to the shop…

Really what’s weird here is that it all of the sudden started acting this way

Oct 14, 2024
It might be that you need to raise your card's voltage or power limit, or just improve its cooling. Some may even need dramatic changes, like reseating the cooler.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Thanks for the welcome! As for the age of the psu as i said before its kind of old. I didn’t really put that much thought into it when i first got it, i realized a couple years later when i looked the the tier list, but since it was working fine I didn’t change it.

I had borrowing one in mind but I dont really know that many people that had build PC’s and the ones that have, don’t hace their old psu’s around anymore. That’s mainly the reason im thinking of taking it to the shop…

Really what’s weird here is that it all of the sudden started acting this way
Unfortunately PSUs degrade over time especially so if they are maxed out. Add in the fact that it wasn't a particularly good unit to begin with and it could well be that it has had its day and can no longer put out the required power.

It is common for new PC builders to overlook the psu and put all their money into the other components as you naturally assume all PSUs are created equal. I did it on my first build.

What you don't want is for it to die an ungraceful death and decide to take other components with it. If there is somewhere you can test the PC then that would be the first option depending on how much they will charge. I would look into getting a slightly higher watt unit regardless though should your budget allow for it.