Question Windows sometimes does not see new USB devices and hangs during shutdown/restart.

Sep 8, 2024
Hello!

I have a rare issue with the system not seeing any new USB devices (as if they are not connected at all, not even the device connected sound) and hanging on "Shutting down" screen 100% of the time when that happens, resulting in a BSOD a few minutes later (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, caused by ntoskrnl.exe judging by BlueScreenView).

Yesterday it also showed my gamepad still connected to the system when I unplugged it (with a "Troubleshooting" icon, and trying to troubleshoot didn't do anything).

So my main problem is the system hanging during shutdown/restart, the USB part is a symptom and I don't really care as long as I can safely restart the system. It doesn't appear to be completely frozen (keyboard works for example), but something prevents it from shutting down properly. I'm also 99% sure the problem can only occur if I plug or unplug USB devices while the PC is running. If I don't change anything it never happens.

Here's the minidump file.

My pc: Win 10 Pro (21H2), i5-12400, B660 Tomahawk wifi ddr4 motherboard.

What I tried: updating all motherboard drivers, sfc /scannow when the issue occurs. Didn't help.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

this bugcheck is generally some driver that goes to sleep then does not wake up. for example, a usb hub can go to sleep and not wake up. this would prevent all the devices connected to the hub from receiving the wake up signal.

in this case, you update the bios, update the chipset drivers for the cpu. on older systems you would update and external usb3 driver. Now, you also have to update the various devices, ie firmware in your mouse for example.

start cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy

then take a look at the report.
it might identify a device that is not working (old devices, or ones that need a update driver or firmware)

note: from the minidump I can see the problem is a usb device and windows plug and play was trying to remove and eject some device.
to see the proper debug info you would have to provide a kernel dump (memory.dmp file)

edit: the bad device was
Logitech, Inc.
F310 Gamepad [XInput Mode]

if this is already unplugged, the go into windows control panel, device manager, turn on the menu option to view hidden devices. it should show the usb devices that are disconnected and you can delete the driver.

you should look for firmware update for the device, then install the current driver if you can find one

check out this info about the mode switch on the controller
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-in/articles/360025338013--FAQ-Gamepad-F310

ie switch to directinput mode

Last edited: