Question Windows sometimes does not see new USB devices and hangs during shutdown/restart.

Sep 8, 2024
Hello!

I have a rare issue with the system not seeing any new USB devices (as if they are not connected at all, not even the device connected sound) and hanging on "Shutting down" screen 100% of the time when that happens, resulting in a BSOD a few minutes later (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE, caused by ntoskrnl.exe judging by BlueScreenView).

Yesterday it also showed my gamepad still connected to the system when I unplugged it (with a "Troubleshooting" icon, and trying to troubleshoot didn't do anything).

So my main problem is the system hanging during shutdown/restart, the USB part is a symptom and I don't really care as long as I can safely restart the system. It doesn't appear to be completely frozen (keyboard works for example), but something prevents it from shutting down properly. I'm also 99% sure the problem can only occur if I plug or unplug USB devices while the PC is running. If I don't change anything it never happens.

Here's the minidump file.

My pc: Win 10 Pro (21H2), i5-12400, B660 Tomahawk wifi ddr4 motherboard.

What I tried: updating all motherboard drivers, sfc /scannow when the issue occurs. Didn't help.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.