-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
Hello there!! I've recently experiencede some issues with my GPU. I've run some test in order to make sure the issue is related with my GPU and everything else seems to be fine (HDDs, Ram, CPU etc).

Whenever I'm under heavy load, playing some games, the image freezes (and sometimes the mouse still can move inside the frozen window). Sometimes it gets better after a few seconds, and other times it just crashes. I've seen this happening only under heavy gpu load, and not always. A couple of times I've had to force the system down because the whole thing got frozen, instead of just the window, but most times it just freezes for a few secs and keeps working afterwards. I've checked temp and it looks fine, it rarely goes beyond 70ºC, most of the time it doesn't even reach 65º.

My system is this one:
CPU: I7 8700
Motherboard: Asus z370-G wifi
Ram: DDR4 4000 MHz 8gb2x (KFA2)
SSD/HDD:Using a Barracuda 1Tb + a bunch of SSDs, but my OS is placed in a 256gb Samsung Evo 870.
GPU: Strix GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA G2 750 Supernova
Chassis: Enthoo Pro M

All these problems started a few weeks ago, after I made an OS restoration, so I believe it's likely software-related (not sure though).

Still, i've tried everything I could think about. I downloaded a new Windows image from microsoft and installed it, made a clean driver installation with DDU, tried some undervolting with MSI Afterburner, and then with Nvidia Inspector, to no result.

Tried with and withouth Nvidia Geforce Experience, and got nothing. I've read this issue might be related with either the PSU or Mobo being unable to feed enough power to my GPU, might one of them be damaged? I'm going to try my GF's gpu to see if it runs as it should, and let mine to her's for a while.

All of my pieces are still covered by the warranty, so worst case scenario I could just make the seller take care of it, but I need to be sure about what the problem is before i could do so.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard? By windows image, did you create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? You might want to also source a reliably built PSU to rule out a faulty or failing PSU.

You forgot to mention the cooler for your platform.

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015
Which BIOS version are you working with on your motherboard? By windows image, did you create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? You might want to also source a reliably built PSU to rule out a faulty or failing PSU.

You forgot to mention the cooler for your platform.

Yeah I used the Windows Media Creation tool. Bios is Revision 2201, and I'm using a nice cooler, a Gelid Phantom Black; temps shouldn't be an issue, everything runs cool. I'll try the GPU in my GF's PC as well, she's got another T1 PSU according to the PSU list.

Last edited: