Question GPU driver crashes PC

JimmyYeetsWorld

Prominent
Nov 19, 2021
Edit: 99% sure its a power issue:
Event viewer noted a critical error with Kernal losing power. I did observe the PC would boot twice, then goto the Windows recovery environment since it failed to boot.
To confirm this I removed half of my RAM and all but my OS SSD. I downloaded the updated driver and confirmed working. Going to buy a new PSS+U to confirm, but I believe we narrowed it down.

The issue started when I bought a new GPU to replace my old Nvidia 1050ti. Bought a Radeon RX6600.

When I installed the driver my PC crashed at end of the installation, then on reboot, it BSODs until I disable or backdate the GPU driver.

I'm all out of options at this point. I can't see anything that indicates my build is the issue. I also tried AMD support and got nothing, swapped GPU for a replacement and still had the same issue.

Specs below:
Ryzen 5 5600
B350
32 GB quad ram
Pow. supply has more than enough power rating.

One last note. When I first installed the GPU I had issues installing the drivers. But after uninstalling them and starting fresh I was able to boot and use my system with the correct drivers. This worked for 2-3 days then the issue started. So at some point, it was working, then went to sh*t lol.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Even if didn't use ddu, remnants of Nvidia drivers shouldn't cause Amd installer to crash system. Windows isn't that lame. Psu is considered enough wattage? maybe so. But is it good enough to go from low powered gpu such as 1050ti 75w to doubled that for Rx6600. Installing gpu drivers engages gpu power plans, if psu isn't up to task for that then function of it stops there. Wattage alone doesn't say much, so fingers crossed you're not one with a very cheap psu claiming reliability.

JimmyYeetsWorld

Prominent
Nov 19, 2021
Even if didn't use ddu, remnants of Nvidia drivers shouldn't cause Amd installer to crash system. Windows isn't that lame. Psu is considered enough wattage? maybe so. But is it good enough to go from low powered gpu such as 1050ti 75w to doubled that for Rx6600. Installing gpu drivers engages gpu power plans, if psu isn't up to task for that then function of it stops there. Wattage alone doesn't say much, so fingers crossed you're not one with a very cheap psu claiming reliability.
Good suggestion. Here is my build linked tp pCparts picker:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/KarlK79/saved/#view=tnTLcf

600 W 80+ should be sufficient right? Or do you think between all components its pushing it?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Good suggestion. Here is my build linked tp pCparts picker:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/KarlK79/saved/#view=tnTLcf

600 W 80+ should be sufficient right? Or do you think between all components its pushing it?

Parts list is private.

600w is more than enough. Recommended watts for typical system, something with 6 core cpu + 6600 is around 450w, no oc. Not many 450w psus are good enough though so 550w~600w should be alright, depending on quality. There's a psu tier list in psu section, see where your psu ranks and look at tiers A and B if replacing.

JimmyYeetsWorld

Prominent
Nov 19, 2021
Parts list is private.

600w is more than enough. Recommended watts for typical system, something with 6 core cpu + 6600 is around 450w, no oc. Not many 450w psus are good enough though so 550w~600w should be alright, depending on quality. There's a psu tier list in psu section, see where your psu ranks and look at tiers A and B if replacing.

Sorry I will post the full specs below. However, upon further inspection, the issue still persists. I was able to get it working when I removed all of my non-essential drives and half my ram. But after a few restarts, the same issue occurred.