GPU fan screw is is stripped from the inside

bushdid711

Prominent
Sep 26, 2018
I have an Asus Strix GTX 980 ti, when attempting to take the heatsink off to replace the thermal paste, I spun the screw the wrong way (clockwise) just a bit too hard, causing the hole itself to be totally stripped.
I can see it from the under this card, it looks like this https://imgur.com/a/6yd0CpZ

The hole is so stripped that spinning it, either way, it has no effects to the horizontal position of the screw whatsoever.
stripped in a way that there is no friction between the plate and the hole support.

How can I take the screw out without damaging the board? because the board is the second layer (beyond the support plate) and force pulling the screw off will sure break parts of the board.

out of the problem, why is this r***rded design created in the first place?

bushdid711

Prominent
Sep 26, 2018

It can be fully spinned, because the problem isn't the screw, but the hole that deals with the horizontal position of the screw. (In & out)

bushdid711

Prominent
Sep 26, 2018

it just spins, no leveling on the screw, also the screw type has some kind of spring on it.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Usually you can use a pair of needle nose pliars to grab the screw and pull up while you turn it and it'll come out, needle nose vice grips are better but harder to find

You can also often push the screw to one side with a flathead screwdriver while trying to loosen in with the phillips

bushdid711

Prominent
Sep 26, 2018

I'm still trying to get it out, but your suggestion is good enough.
Yes, I do have needle nose vice grips, but they are way too large to get into the hole where the screw rests inside of.
I've already tried to use the flathead screwdriver & Philips screwdriver method prior to this post, does not work at all.