Question GPU fan stops spinning and monitor turns off mid game or while browsing.

Sep 29, 2023
Hey everyone,

I recently built my PC and have been facing a persistent issue with my monitors shutting off (no signal screen appearing), whether I'm gaming or simply browsing. I initially thought it was due to my old GPU (GeForce GTX 1660 Ti) since the same problem occurred with my previous PC, which used the same GPU. Just to give you some context, this issue started happening with my old PC back in late 2022, and it never had this problem before. I figured the old PC was getting old, so I planned to build a new one anyway. But wanted to continue using my GPU.

I recently built a new PC at the end of August, hoping that the problem would be resolved, but unfortunately, the monitor issue persisted. To troubleshoot, I purchased a new graphics card, which I had planned to do on Black Friday, but it happened to be on sale, so I installed it. To my surprise, the issue persisted even with the new graphics card. So clearly, the problem was not the old GPU, and I'm stumped as to what could be causing this.

I've ruled out the monitors and cables as the issue since I use them for work, and I've also reinstalled the drivers. The GPUs weren’t overheating either. Here are my current PC specs:

- CPU: Ryzen 5600X
- GPU: Radeon RX 6650 XT
- Motherboard: MSI B550-VC PRO
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
- SSD: Kingston 2TB
- PSU: Corsair 80+ 850W

I'm hoping some of you might have suggestions or insights into what could be causing this… Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sep 29, 2023
PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?
It was bought brand new in August. It’s a

Corsair RM850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply​

Model number:
RPS0120

Part number:

CP-9020196/75-003894

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair RM is good quality PSU, so, chances that PSU would be the issue, are slim. Still, there are lemons, even among the best.

But before that, what are your CPU and GPU temps? Both idle and under the load?
Since loosing video signal is usually to do with GPU.

Also, when screen goes black again, try the following key combo:
Win + Ctrl + Shift + B

If image returns, great, it narrows down the issue. Btw, this key combo will restart GPU drivers.

Sep 29, 2023
Corsair RM is good quality PSU, so, chances that PSU would be the issue, are slim. Still, there are lemons, even among the best.

But before that, what are your CPU and GPU temps? Both idle and under the load?
Since loosing video signal is usually to do with GPU.

Also, when screen goes black again, try the following key combo:
Win + Ctrl + Shift + B

If image returns, great, it narrows down the issue. Btw, this key combo will restart GPU drivers.
So I tried this when it went black and nothing happened.
Been looking at the fans — at times it will just randomly stop spinning.
Is it possible that there are settings that are making this happen? It happened with my previous PC only a few years after having it. It was working fine previously…

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You say that the issue (black screen) happens also when browsing the web. To rule out 3rd party or drivers issue, run your OS in Safe Mode.

Once you're in Safe Mode and then browse the web, look if you still get black screen issues.

If you do, issue is either with Win kernel itself or hardware.
If not, issue is with 3rd party software or some drivers, since when in safe mode, none of the additional drivers are loaded. Only bare minimum to make the OS work.

Sep 29, 2023
You say that the issue (black screen) happens also when browsing the web. To rule out 3rd party or drivers issue, run your OS in Safe Mode.

Once you're in Safe Mode and then browse the web, look if you still get black screen issues.

If you do, issue is either with Win kernel itself or hardware.
If not, issue is with 3rd party software or some drivers, since when in safe mode, none of the additional drivers are loaded. Only bare minimum to make the OS work.
Yeah the same thing happened in safe mode.
I had to shut down my computer. When I turned it back on the EZ debug light for the CPU came on. So maybe it’s a CPU issue…? Which is weird because everything is new…

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When I turned it back on the EZ debug light for the CPU came on. So maybe it’s a CPU issue…?
Can be either CPU or MoBo. Debug LED shows that MoBo can't communicate with CPU. Doesn't mean CPU is bad. Could be bad MoBo as well.

Which is weird because everything is new…
With this severe issue, i'd RMA the MoBo. Hence why MoBo has warranty. CPUs are more durable and it is rarer chance that CPU would be the issue. Still, even after MoBo replacement you have the same issue, next step would be CPU RMA.

TRENDING THREADS