GPU FAN stuck at 100% Very loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017
Hi!

I built a completely new pc about 1 week ago. I left my pc on with no games or programs started.

When i came back my pc had suddenly turned VERY loud and the temperatures were still very good. I tried disconnecting my chassi fans, and my cpu cooler. The noise was still there. So i think its either the power supply or the GPU. Keep in mind all the components are brand new. And ive barely used the pc yet. The gpu fan speed is stuck at 3500rpm even tho ive tried changing the speed with afterburner and tweak2

EDIT:
Maybe something in the bios is controlling the gpu fans?

SPECS:

- Fractal Design Define R5 Svart
- Intel Core i7 7700 3.6 GHz 8MB
- be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W CM
- ASUS B150 PRO GAMING
- Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
- ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC
- Noctua NH-D14

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, 3500 is normal range for fans at 100%. There's other things to think about though, the fans are at max and temps are good. That's how it's supposed to be. What would the temps be with the fans idle or slow? Probably pretty high. So that asks a couple of questions, like what else went to sleep. If the hdd/ssd shut down, interrupting fan program, did bios kick in and raise gpu fans, did case fans quit under sleep raising case temps etc. Does the gpu return to normal operation when pc is taken out of sleep?

It may or may not be the gpu, might be something else causing the gpu fans to max under sleep. Such as windows power settings etc.

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017
I dont understand what you mean by "under sleep". the gpu fans are at 3500rpm 24/7 no matter what games or programs are on. I will try to remove the gpu and start the pc, that way I'll see if its really the gpu making all that noise

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu fans should not be running full speed, especially when the rest of the pc is idle or sleeping. Check windows power settings, bios, any gpu software you have that might be changing the fan curves or a software switch that has the fans set to max.

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017
I still havent figured out my problem. I downloaded the latest version of ASUS GPU TWEAK2. And when i look at the curves to the left it says that my gpu fan speed is 3500rpm. So I made a custom profile and changed the gpu fan speed from auto, to 50%, applied and saved it. Now when I look at the curves there are 2 gpu fan speed curves. One that tells the rpm and the other one tells how many procent. The % curve shows stable 50%. But the speed never changes and the rpm curve is still at 3500rpm. So basically nothing happens with the speed when I change to my custom profile or any other profiles.

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017
A colleague of mine fixed the problem by changing the power settings in the bios. I dont know exactly how he did but it worked. So Karadjgne was right. Thanks for the help

EDIT:
The problem IS NOT fixed!!!

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017

I said the problem was fixed but when I turned on my computer 1 day later the gpu fans were back att full speed. And I have no idea how to fix it. I need more people to give me suggestions, please.

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017

I updated the bios to the latest version and it did not help. There has to be something thats controlling the gpu fans. I doubt the graphics card or any other component is broken.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ask your bud what he did. It's possible it wasn't saved in bios, or your bios is set to load a certain profile at boot, which can erase any changes made prior. If that's the case, I'd do what your bud did in the power settings, then save the profile. That's usually under boot options tab.

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017
So I was trying to play for a bit today to see what happens. And when I was playing, my gpu went up to 60 degrees. And once that happend the gpu fans went back to normal and acted acording to my curve that I've made in gpu tweak2. What the hell is going on? It's like once the graphics card got hot it stoped being stuck at 3500rpm

jatexsiron

Commendable
May 5, 2016
A lot of Graphics Cards have custom programs that can change its fans' speeds. For example, my ASUS ROG Strix has a program that can enable manual vs auto fan speed. If you have it on manual, it will be set at a speed rather than adjusting to load and temperature. I suggest looking up if your graphics card has such a program. It does seem whatever is happening in the BIOS isn't being saved, so every time you start up the computer, it goes back to the full speed. If the graphics card has a default profile, it may be resorting to that.

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017
My colleauge that has more computer knowledge then me, told me that when I start a game, the game config can mess up my gpu fans. I dont really know what he meant though :/

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many games can do that. Do it to video too. I've had games reset the resolution to 800x600 (which on 1080p monitor is seriously bogus). Sometimes, even after exiting the game the screen resolution doesn't switch back. Happens every time daughter plays Roblox. I have to either manually reset or start a game that has a dedicated gpu resolution of 1080p. So yes, buddy is correct, that can happen with default fan profiles getting superceded.

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017

I do have asus ai suite, but its not posibble to do any changes to the gpu with ai suite anyways

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
In the bios under advanced->PlatForm Misc.Configuration->pci native power management->set to enabled. maybe this helps.
Can also try under advanced->PlatForm Misc.Configuration->ASPM Support->set it to auto.
Can also try under advanced->System Agent Configuration->set pcie to default.

These are what i consider items that maybe have impact on how the fans behave on the gpu,maybe they don't do anything.You can always reset these to default if it's of no use,also try each on it's own,not at the same time,just to see if one helps which one it is.

Make sure to save the changes. ;)

betakerfilip

Commendable
Oct 29, 2017

Thanks. I tried all your suggestions, but unfortunately it did not help :/
If it is a software or game that somehow changes my gpu is there anyway to just reset the gpu back to normal settings. Or at least turn off the damn fans? although, I've heard that the graphics card I have can only go down to 49% for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.