Question GPU fans are making a new weird noise (not the usual under load)

Feb 15, 2022
So here is the thing. I have a 5700xt which I use to mine ETH since 8 months ago.
But it has starting to making a weird noise. The unusual thing is that the noise only happens when the fans are at a speed between 50% and 70%. If I put the fans at around 80% or even 100% it doesn't make THAT sound. I mean it makes the usual sound of the fans spinning too fast but not this new weird sound.
I suppose one of the fans is not working properly and I should replace it but what confuses me is why the sound only appears at that particular speed and not when is at low speed or the highest speed.
The noise is like the noise of a broken or old HDD

Feb 15, 2022
Here's a link with the same topic on LTT where I uploaded a file with the sound

Sounds to me like the bearing is going out or has debris inside of it. Not much you can do about it besides replacing the fan. Personally I would use it until it fails. The reason why it only makes the noise at certain RPMs is that at those speeds and harmonics caused by those speeds it allows the bearing enough "leeway" to make the sound. I have had several fans in the past that only made sounds between certain fan speeds and they usually only got worse with age. If you tap the fan hub in the middle while it is spinning it will probably temporarily stop the noise because it falls below the rpm threshold that allows it to make the noise. This can make it easy to identify the fan in question.

Feb 15, 2022
Sounds to me like the bearing is going out or has debris inside of it. Not much you can do about it besides replacing the fan. Personally I would use it until it fails. The reason why it only makes the noise at certain RPMs is that at those speeds and harmonics caused by those speeds it allows the bearing enough "leeway" to make the sound. I have had several fans in the past that only made sounds between certain fan speeds and they usually only got worse with age. If you tap the fan hub in the middle while it is spinning it will probably temporarily stop the noise because it falls below the rpm threshold that allows it to make the noise. This can make it easy to identify the fan in question.

Hi!! I tapped the fan hub and moved it around a little bit and it stopped making the noise! It's been a whole month without making the noise and the RPM are still high so I have no idea what happened
Thanks!!

Reactions: helper800

TRENDING THREADS