Question GPU Fans Spinning but Not Connecting Properly

Rymazon

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
Specs:
Motherboard: MSI Bazooka B250M
GPU: AMD Radeon RX480 4GB
CPU: Intel i5 7400
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 3600 MHz (capped to 2400 by the mobo)
Everything listed above is almost 4 years old (except the ram which is only a few months old)

Yesterday as I was doing some work on my computer, it randomly turned off and when I turned it back on, the fans spun (including the CPU and GPU fans) and the lights turned on but there was no signal to the monitor. I also noticed that the keyboard lights weren't turning on and when I added a new peripheral, the lights turned on for a moment and then turned off. Because of this, I expected it was a mobo issue so I tried resetting the CMOS battery with no luck. This was when I noticed that the debug indicator led on my mobo labeled "VGA" was lit up and after checking my mobo manual, I noticed that it was a GPU issue. I tried reseating it but it didn't work. To check if it is really the GPU causing the issue, I removed the GPU to see if it would boot on integrated graphics and it did. I also tried inserting an old RX460 and it worked. Since the 460 uses less power than the 480, I am not sure if it is a problem with the GPU or the PSU. If anyone has any input please help.

Do you know any way to fix this issue without having to buy a new GPU or PSU? Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you know any way to fix this issue without having to buy a new GPU or PSU?
Make and model of the PSU and it's age(4 years?)?

Usually when a system powers off or reboots when taxed it's a PSU or overheating issue. When the system turns off when idle then it's probably a thermal issue or that the PSU has given out. Can you recall what OS version and BIOS version you were on prior to this post?

I removed the GPU to see if it would boot on integrated graphics and it did.
It's a PSU issue, since the discrete GPU will cause the entire system to draw more power from the PSU.

Rymazon

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
Thanks for the response. Today I was able to open up my case and take a look at the PSU. It is the Thermaltake Smart 600W. As for my operating system, I am on windows 10.0.19042, however, I do recall it updating as I was troubleshooting. I usually keep my windows up to date so the version that I was on at the time of the initial incident was likely the windows 10 update prior to this one. According to my system information, the bios version/date is: American Megatrends Inc. 1.2, 2017-02-06. I when troubleshooting, I did reset the CMOS battery and I did restore the default settings so I am not sure if that would affect this.
Once again, thanks for taking your time to help.