NostallgiaK

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2015
Back in August I decided to upgrade from a EVGA GTX 1080 to an AMD Sapphire 7900xtx Nitro+ and there has been nothing but issues since.

Almost immediately after I swapped gpu's, I also started encountering pretty regular driver timeout crashes. I tried every reddit fix in the book. Disable MPO, PBO, different registry value fixes.

I went from some MSI 650w to a MSI MPG A850G thinking it was power issues.

I thought that maybe it was faulty ram so I bought new ram and nothing changed.

Went through BIOS and turned off resize bar and still nothing

Well last night I was doing my driver updates so I could kill a lot of crashes I was experiencing, and for the first time ever my PC decided to green screen during the driver installation (yes I ddu'd)

This ended up killing my entire windows installation. Had to pull out the boot media and reinstall because nothing I would do you let me in

After all this, I tried to get the card to work on a new windows.imstall, but every time I tried to install the drivers (minimal install, no adrenaline), the PC would crash back to the post screen and start booting up.
I got frustrated and swapped back in the 1080 and so far have had absolutely no issues.

The only reason I have any skepticism about the 7900 not being an issue is that multiple people have told me that due to the 7900xtz being more powerful, it would make things in my system fail that did not previously fail.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Full system specs would help. I gather you have a Ryzen system of some sort.

I can't agree that adding a powerful GPU would cause things to fail to this level. 850W PSU is reasonable and certainly wouldn't present problems with installing Windows, only when the GPU is under load.

Did you try updating the motherboard BIOS? Getting all fresh motherboard drivers?

vBIOS updates to the GPU available?

NostallgiaK

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2015
Specs would be

Mobo - ASUS TUF b550 plus
cpu - amd ryzen 5 5600x
ram - 4x Corsair Vengeance 3200
psu - MSI MPG A850G
GPU - AMD Sapphire 7900xtx Nitro+

no adapters are being used. With my 1080 in the system, everything posts perfectly fine. no crashes, no issues at all.

If i swap over to my 7900xtx, I can get it to the desktop, I can even get a few things done with the windows installed drivers before it reboots to post. If I try and install ANY amd drivers, it will hard crash and windows will refuse to boot and will never recover and repair (If i swap the 1080 back in at this point, i can get back to the desktop and run DDU to remove the drivers"

The way it reboots to post is also very interesting, The fans do not slow down, there is no cut in power at all. It is simply from desktop to ASUS boot logo and the post lights running through the cycle on the mobo properly.

I have no clue how to flash a vbios, but if it were a vbios issue, wouldn't it not post at all?

I know the card has a bios switch so i can give it a go and toggle that and see if anything changes.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have no clue how to flash a vbios, but if it were a vbios issue, wouldn't it not post at all?

I know the card has a bios switch so i can give it a go and toggle that and see if anything changes.

Depends, vBIOS can occasionally get corrupt in weird ways. Though both is not likely, but it could be that both are out of date and have issues with your system.

Testing the card in another system would be more definitive. If it still has problems after that it is probably worth returning or getting it replaced under warranty.

There are guides out there, but it can brick the card, so it is a last resort.