Question GPU is at 100% on idle w/ nothing open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2020
I logged into my computer and I went to play a game (apex legends), and it was super laggy, and it had never run like this before. I turned all settings to low, and that didn't work, So I Closed it, made sure nothing else was running and opened task manager, where under my GPU "video encode" was at 100%.

Steps taken:
-opened windows defender ran a full check, nothing
-restarted Pc several times
-installed latest graphics drivers
-booted windows in safe mode
-looked through task manager for any suspicious apps/apps taking up lots of CPU/GPU usage.

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

GPU: RX 570 8gb

Memory 8GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus prime B450-m

I think it could possibly be a crypto mining virus? normal virus? I'm not sure. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Jan 26, 2020
Do a malware scan with Malwarebytes.
Use DDU in safe mode to properly remove your drivers and reinstall them, using this guide:
How To - How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers. | Tom's Hardware Forum
I did everything you said, but the issue still persists. I went to task manager to check if I fixed it, and the program that is (still) hogging my GPU is: "Radeon settings: host service" I've tried right-clicking and hitting end task, but it just reopens.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I did everything you said, but the issue still persists. I went to task manager to check if I fixed it, and the program that is (still) hogging my GPU is: "Radeon settings: host service" I've tried right-clicking and hitting end task, but it just reopens.
Search that file in your search engine in your computer if you have windows 10 use cortana or whatever and the see what you can do from there

In task manager when you find the process right click on it and open file location, end the task and then you can delete the file permanently. Dont try to delete the file while is running because it will not let you.
Many times a miner takes the name or valid service so it may not be in reality the radeon service, just a disguised miner. Thats why i said to go to task manager and right click and open file location from there.
Last time i had to deal with a miner had taken the name of adobe update utility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.