[SOLVED] GPU is constantly maxing out when gaming

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Hi all,

My mobo recently died, and I decided to use that opportunity to upgrade it and my CPU. Current specs are:

i7-10700K @ 3.8GHz | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-3000 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate BarraCuda 2TB | Corsair HX750i | Noctua NH-D15

Ever since this upgrade, every game I play pushes my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC to 100% utilisation, making it sound like I have a jet engine next to me. Other than the hardware, there hasn't been any changes that I can think of to my build.

From the linked screenshot of the task manager, it's the 3D part which is at 100%.

Screenshot

Any suggestions in how to bring the GPU back to normal operating parameters would be great.

Solution
Hi all,

My mobo recently died, and I decided to use that opportunity to upgrade it and my CPU. Current specs are:

i7-10700K @ 3.8GHz | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-3000 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate BarraCuda 2TB | Corsair HX750i | Noctua NH-D15

Ever since this upgrade, every game I play pushes my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC to 100% utilisation, making it sound like I have a jet engine next to me. Other than the hardware, there hasn't been any changes that I can think of to my build.

From the linked screenshot of the task manager, it's the 3D part which is at 100%.

Screenshot

Any suggestions in how to bring the GPU back to normal operating parameters would be...

Lutfij

Titan
Did you reinstall your OS after you migrated to the new platform? If not, you're advised tor reinstall your OS from scratch. You can create your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools, that should have you on the latest version of Windows 10.

Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to reinstalling OS.

Reactions: DMAN999

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Did you reinstall your OS after you migrated to the new platform? If not, you're advised tor reinstall your OS from scratch. You can create your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools, that should have you on the latest version of Windows 10.

Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version prior to reinstalling OS.

Thanks for your suggestions Lutfij. OS was reinstalled after hardware changes and BIOS was latest.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Screenshot

Any suggestions in how to bring the GPU back to normal operating parameters would be great.

This is just a guess, but it sounds to me like with your new i7-10700k you have removed a CPU bottleneck that you may have previously had, allowing your GTX 1080 to operate at 100% utilization (which is a good thing). If the extra heat is ramping up the fans too much, causing it to make too much noise for your taste, you can always install MSI afterburner and tweak the fan curve more to your liking.

Solution

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
This is just a guess, but it sounds to me like with your new i7-10700k you have removed a CPU bottleneck that you may have previously had, allowing your GTX 1080 to operate at 100% utilization (which is a good thing). If the extra heat is ramping up the fans too much, causing it to make too much noise for your taste, you can always install MSI afterburner and tweak the fan curve more to your liking.

Hi RTX 2080,

If that's the case, then I'm not worried. Game performance seems fine otherwise. I've done some additional reading and it looks like a few other have suggested a similar "unthrottled" explanation.

Just need to get my hands on a 30 series now :)