Question GPU is not detected but sometimes it is

Jul 12, 2024
Hi, Folks. I need help

So for couple of weeks now I have this problem where my PC won't detect the GPU, when I turn on the PC it just show HDMI no signal on the screen but everything is turn on and when I use my phone as wireless monitor using wifi, it's on. So when I unplugged the HDMI cable and switched from GPU to Mobo, the display is there. But sometimes after I turned off the computer and turned it back on again, the GPU is fine. And when it's fine I had no problem until I turn it off again. The problem persist seemingly at random or I suspect after I unplug the power for long hour, the GPU would be fine again but not always. So I have tried everything that I can think of and able to do but to no avail so far. Here's things I've done:
1. Unplug every cable from PSU to everything else.
2. Respaste the CPU Heatsink
3. Unplug the RAM and Slot back in again
4. I bought another GPU, so I switched from NVIDIA GTX 970 to AMD RX 580
5. Did the DDU uninstall when switching over.
6. Update the bios tho the bios for the mobo was already the newest one so what I did is just updating the Bios ver. F16 to the same F16. My mobo is pretty old Gigabyte Z77x-D3H.
7. Bought new HDMI cable
8. Prioritize PCIE for display in bios
9. Set UEFI and legacy and pretty much all option for display in bios
10. Disable Intel graphic in bios
11. Disable Intel graphic driver in device manager
12. Set to pcie X4 in bios
13. Reset bios to default
14. Disable fast boot in windows power setting
15. Set power option to balance
16. Tried booting it on win safe mode
17. Some other stuff I might've forgot
Things I have not tried
1. Try different PSU. I use Corsair cx650 currently and according to my research as long as the +12 is still within 12.6volt parameter the psu is still fine. Mine is around there, slightly below the safe parameter iirc.
2. Try another mobo of the same type
3. Reinstalling windows, I have not done it partly cuz I lost the license key.
4. Try another PCIE 8pin cable connector

So yeah any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you all

Edit:
I just unplugged the GPU from the mobo, remove the mobo battery and waited for 5mins, while waiting I took a closer look at the pcie slot and noticed there's few pin that seems slightly off ( idk what to call those but it's on the rail where u slot the GPU in the pcie slot) and so I adjusted it with a toothpick. Put everything back in and now GPU is working fine. I've tried couple of restart and couple of booted from off position and so far so good. Hopefully that is the end of it but if it back, I keep this post update

Last edited:

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
What about a new mobo purchase? Could be a faulty connection to the GPU as you've tried 2 different archs in it and it stil doesn't display correctly. Idk if it's one of your attempts at it but I couldn't tell as well as maybe using DP too? Those GPUs have DPs am I not mistaken?

Jul 12, 2024
What about a new mobo purchase? Could be a faulty connection to the GPU as you've tried 2 different archs in it and it stil doesn't display correctly. Idk if it's one of your attempts at it but I couldn't tell as well as maybe using DP too? Those GPUs have DPs am I not mistaken?
I don't know what DP is. And getting new mobo is not something I can afford right now

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
DisplayPort is know as DP in techy words lol sorry. This thing happened to me too as well. SLI 1080s not displaying unless I did a quick port switch as soon as it turns on every so often. Thank the Devs they patched that up the next day otherwise I'd flop my benches for someone. Sorry to hear a new mobo isn't up for grabs but worth the stab at me taking. Also full PC specs please cuz I don't see a CPU in that response there.............................

Jul 11, 2024
I saw this one youtube video saying that with older AMD GPUs the HDMI is the problem or something I cant remember but if your monitor has a display port try that my monitor doesn't have a display port so I cant try that