[SOLVED] GPU Issue? Any Help Appreciated

Mar 26, 2024
I put together a new build about a month, no issues. Everything was working amazing. Had a Gigabyte 40800 Super Windforce v2. Was having some temp issues, so returned and got the 4080 super TUF OC. Put into build last night, that's when I noticed the issues starting. Before I explain the issues I will list out specs:

Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX V2 (On latest BIOS)
64 GB 6400mhz T-Force RAM
7800x3D
ASUS 4080 Super TUF OC
Super Flower 850w Leadex III Gold
Windows 10 Home

Notice last night when starting up Forbidden West that I was getting like 40 FPS, when the day before on previous GPU I was getting well over 100 at 1440p. Didn't think much of it at time. Restarted PC and issue was fixed. Took a break and shut down PC. Came back later and had low FPS issue again. Restarted PC, fixed no issues.

After thinking about it I was able to replicate the issue without fail. On cold boot, low FPS. Restart fixes issue. Decided to do some digging and on cold boot the bus interface for the pciex 16 is @ x1 4.0 on cold boot, but after restart it's @ x16 4.0.

I feel like I have tried everything at this point. I have:
Reinstalled windows clean
Tried every single BIOS available for my board
Disabled fast startup
Tried every single power performance plan available
Updated chipset drivers
Checked PCIEx settings in BIOS
Reseated GPU

I am not sure if I should just try and swap this GPU for another?

I have attached the GPU-Z screengrabs. First 2 pics from cold boot, and last 2 are from after restart. The sensors pics are both under load.

I am at my wits end here and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 26, 2024
I put together a new build about a month, no issues. Everything was working amazing. Had a Gigabyte 40800 Super Windforce v2. Was having some temp issues, so returned and got the 4080 super TUF OC. Put into build last night, that's when I noticed the issues starting. Before I explain the issues I will list out specs:

Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX V2 (On latest BIOS)
64 GB 6400mhz T-Force RAM
7800x3D
ASUS 4080 Super TUF OC
Super Flower 850w Leadex III Gold
Windows 10 Home

Notice last night when starting up Forbidden West that I was getting like 40 FPS, when the day before on previous GPU I was getting well over 100 at 1440p. Didn't think much of it at time. Restarted PC and issue was fixed. Took a break and shut down PC. Came back later and had low FPS issue again. Restarted PC, fixed no issues.

After thinking about it I was able to replicate the issue without fail. On cold boot, low FPS. Restart fixes issue. Decided to do some digging and on cold boot the bus interface for the pciex 16 is @ x1 4.0 on cold boot, but after restart it's @ x16 4.0.

I feel like I have tried everything at this point. I have:
Reinstalled windows clean
Tried every single BIOS available for my board
Disabled fast startup
Tried every single power performance plan available
Updated chipset drivers
Checked PCIEx settings in BIOS
Reseated GPU

I am at a loss here. It's driving me absolutely insane.

I am not sure if I should just try and swap this GPU for another?

I have attached the GPU-Z screengrabs. First 2 pics from cold boot, and last 2 are from after restart. The sensors pics are both under load.

I am at my wits end here and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
At idle the GPU will shut off PCIe lanes to save power, that is pretty normal.

Power load there is quite low for a 4080 Super. It is a 320W part, but only pulling 220W at full load. Something is not right.

Doublecheck your 12-pin (+4) power connector is fully seated. The 4 sense pins will tell the GPU how much it can pull, and if it isn't correct it may be artificially limiting the GPU.

Mar 26, 2024
At idle the GPU will shut off PCIe lanes to save power, that is pretty normal.

Power load there is quite low for a 4080 Super. It is a 320W part, but only pulling 220W at full load. Something is not right.

Doublecheck your 12-pin (+4) power connector is fully seated. The 4 sense pins will tell the GPU how much it can pull, and if it isn't correct it may be artificially limiting the GPU.

I am not sure the issue is with the power draw. I've double checked all connections throughout PC. The Issue is with bus interface limiting to @ x1 on cold boot, but fixes only after a restart. Whenever I turn my PC for the first time, or power from a "shut down" state every single game will run at low fps.

For example playing helldivers after a cold boot I will only get about 50 fps. After I restart, everything is fine. Game runs at well over 100 fps. Games like CS2 will run at 80-90 fps on cold boot, but after a restart it will max my monitors refresh at 240fps.

the bus interface also reverts back to @ x1 after PC goes into sleep mode. It then requires a restart to get back to the full @ x16.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024
See if you have a BIOS setting for the PCIe slot. If it is set to Auto, force it to PCIe 4.0.
Yeah, I went through the BIOS settings already and made that change. The only one I haven't touched is the bifurcation. Not sure that would even do anything.

I do appreciate you offering assistance!

I am going to get my hands on another GPU to try hopefully this evening. Then I would know for sure if it's the current card or mobo. The previous GPU was a 4080 super windforce v2, but I didn't like the hotspot temps so I returned it and grabbed the TUF model. I did not notice this issue with the previous card.

I am no expert on PCs, but it seems like during the initial startup the system doesn't have enough time to say "oh this card needs to use pcie x16, not x1." For whatever reason it communicates that message during a restart. I turned off fast start up but no luck either.

Maybe this specific card and mobo just don't play nice. I mean system works great after a restart, but I really don't want to have to restart every time I turn it on.

Mar 26, 2024
Bifurcation should be disabled if you don't plan on using NVMe drives or something in your x16 slots.
That's what I figured, didn't even bother messing with it. I am hoping I can get my hands on a spare GPU and see if the problem persists when using that one. I am just stumped. It's not the end of the world, it works great after a restart. It's just very annoying having to restart every time I boot the computer.

Mar 26, 2024
Just an update for anyone who stumbles across this thread with a similar problem.

I was able to get my hands on a 2080 to test. Upon cold boot with the 2080, the PCIEx was at the appropriate x16. The 2080 is an MSI and the 4080 super I own is an ASUS. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

I am within the 30 return window at Microcenter so gonna go swap this card for a different one.

Just returned from Microcenter with the new 4080 super. It's an Zotac Amp Extreme. Plugged in, cold boot, everything is all good. Either the Asus TUF was defective, or my mobo didn't like that card. Either way issue is resolved. What a headache.

Last edited: