GPU makes weird noice then reboots my computer

codyt9x

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I have 2 ati 4870s in my PC, everytime I would run a game, after about 5-10 minutes I would hear my gpu fan start making a really loud noise, and within seconds my PC just shuts off, restarts itself but with no video input. I started to think it was maybe the gpu overheating, but when I looked at CCC (Catalyst Control Center) the entire time, it stays between 47-50c, which is normal for my cards. Any idea what the problem/solution is?

codyt9x

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
thanks for the welcoming, yes, each video card has 2 power connectors going in which are connected from my 550w power supply. im guessing it would help to have a 600w psu for the two of them but still ive seen it shut off with only one card in it, granted i was able to play for a longer duration before it happened

codyt9x

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I was looking at the wiring, one gpu has its own 6 pin cable that splits at the end running from the PCI-6p slot on the power supply to my gpu 1. Unfortunately theres only one PCI-6p slot on my power supply, my gpu 2 however is being run from cables powering up the rest of my system, such as motherboard, hardrive, slave hardrive, dvd rom. So I'm thinking maybe thats overwhelming the psu?

Yes, your PSU is most likely being overwhelmed by your crossfired 4870's.
Could you post the +12v amperage, brand and overall wattage of your PSU?
It should be located on a sticker on the side of the PSU.
Assuming you do need a better PSU, look into a QUALITY 600w+ Corsair, PCP&C, Seasonic, Enermax or Antec Earthwatts PSU.