Question GPU not detected by system

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Hi!

Ive been having issues since i bought a used RX 570 to upgrade my system.

Ive been using a i5-4590 with a Asus H81M-R and suddently the GPU wouldn't get recognized by the system. iGPU was turning on all the time. From a small condensator break, which wasnt the part of the problem, i went to a repair shop that fixed it. Im telling you this because the GPU was running fine in the beginning and after the fix aswell, BUT on the repair's shop PC. Not mine. Ive struggled a little and bought another H81 motherboard from Gigabyte which was a little bit better in BIOS settings and just a little bit more advanced. It wouldnt post the first time because it needed a BIOS flash so i went to my friend's house to do it and fixed it. Ive used his R7 370 to boot and it was recognized fully. I went to my house happy thinking everything would work but the GPU still isnt recognized. However my GT 220 does get recognized and boots.

Things i tried:

BIOS flash
Firm GPU seating
Using another GPU ( GT 220 & R7 370)
Using other cables ( HDMI & DP)
Using another CPU ( Pentium G3250, i5-4590, i5 4440)
Using another RAM
Using another MB ( older one and Gigabyte Z87)

I tried to disable Intel integrated graphics inside the BIOS but the PC still boots without seeing the RX 570

I tried changing Gen 1 or Gen 2 options for the GPU in BIOS.

I tried changing initial display output to PCIE slot in BIOS.

I tried using other PCIE 8pin cable from my power supply which didn't work.

Ive tested the power supply in another system, works completely fine and even tested in my own system that the RX 570 does get 12V on 6pin cables and the 2 other ones are on 0. Thats the only thing i found out that was suspicious. Im using a fairly new( 8m old) CoolerMaster MWE 650W V2 Gold modular PSU. Runs a R9 290 and R7 370 completely fine.

So what is it then? Help!

Old system:

i5-4590
CoolerMaster 120mm AIO
GT 220
2x2GB DDR3 1066MHz
CoolerMaster MWE 650W Gold modular PSU

New system:

i5-4590
CoolerMaster 120mm AIO
Gigabyte RX 570 4GB
4x4 DDR3 1333MHz
CoolerMaster MWE 650W Gold modular PSU

How on earth to make this RX 570 work in my own system?

It is strange that it will not work on either motherboard of the same model. yet works fine on any other motherboard that you try it on. The only other thing I can offer is to make sure it is really fully seated in the pcie x16 slot. Give it a lot of wiggle from side to side as you put it into the slot and apply firm even pressure, and repeat a few times until it may be recognized.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
It is strange that it will not work on either motherboard of the same model. yet works fine on any other motherboard that you try it on. The only other thing I can offer is to make sure it is really fully seated in the pcie x16 slot. Give it a lot of wiggle from side to side as you put it into the slot and apply firm even pressure, and repeat a few times until it may be recognized.
I tried that many times due to the fact that i cant get in the bios because i dont have VGA on my monitor so i cant boot into bios with the RX 570 itself so i put the GT 220 and then change the bios settings and put it back. I did hat maybe like 9-10 times but no luck. No recognition.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
With gt220 in have you looked at boot setup for uefi/legacy? What setting is it on and what other settings are there?

The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2. It has 2 BIOS feature so i dont know if thats the thing youre looking for. Im getting inside the Bios in the interactive UEFI versio with mouse control etc. I tried Boot menu options and switched to the UEFI windows manager to boot instead of my SSD but still nothing.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Secure boot is on, i shall put OpROM to UEFI. And, what you meant by ROM priority? Is that the same thing you mentioned in the beginning of the reply? If so, yes i have Legacy and UEFI options and i shall switch it now and try.

Jun 15, 2022
It is a stretch and I don't really know it will work but if you try Control + Windows + Shift + B, this will reset the graphics drivers.

Like I said, it is a stretch. But it would be good to test.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Secure boot is on, i shall put OpROM to UEFI. And, what you meant by ROM priority? Is that the same thing you mentioned in the beginning of the reply? If so, yes i have Legacy and UEFI options and i shall switch it now and try.

Yeah same thing. Pci device rom priority. Rx570 uses uefi rom. Though it has been known for this generation of card to work on legacy boards, it sometimes doesn't. Changing this to uefi instead of legacy should fix this. Fingers crossed.

It is a stretch and I don't really know it will work but if you try Control + Windows + Shift + B, this will reset the graphics drivers.

Like I said, it is a stretch. But it would be good to test.

Nice tip but we gotta get to Windows first :)

Jun 15, 2022
Oh, my bad.

I didn't realize you were stuck in the bios.

Either the card isn't in all the way like others said above, or the lane could be broken on the board.

But thats just my theory.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Still nothing, unfortunately.

https://prnt.sc/reMRFwIACjN6

https://prnt.sc/p2TXf1FMccSq

I use Chrome remote desktop as before, i used R9 280X, R9 290 and R9 290X and they all don't post video output until you install drivers and i didn't have integrated graphics so i used my phone to navigate and install. And, well from BIOS settings and trying to install drivers, the GPU is still not recognized. Fans are spinning but no output at all from it. I don't have VGA output on my monitor to try integrated graphics to enter the BIOS while i have the GPU installed but i think that won't make a difference since i already changed the settings a minute ago with the GT 220. Any other ideas why the GPU isn't being used? This was the Repair Shops picture sent to me 3 days ago when i wanted him to check out the GPU:

https://prnt.sc/oKg4_sPy1ysA

Ran Furmark flawlessly he says. And yesterday, the GPU worked in my friends PC too. Only thing i can see here is that the CPU and GPU don't like each other or the GPU and RAM don't like each other but that has completely no sense or connection. CPU nor RAM have any damage as they worked before with an R9 290 just fine under load. Any ideas?

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Yeah same thing. Pci device rom priority. Rx570 uses uefi rom. Though it has been known for this generation of card to work on legacy boards, it sometimes doesn't. Changing this to uefi instead of legacy should fix this. Fingers crossed.

Nice tip but we gotta get to Windows first :)
Windows always boots but there is no RX 570 to be recognized. thats the main issue

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't think it has anything to do with cpu or ram compatibility. Gpu isn't at least showing bios screen so that simplifies things a little to narrowing it down to something else being physical or power. Fans spinning just means it's getting some power, either from pcie slot or auxiliary. Pcie slot not recognising could mean it's not getting enough power. Double check both ends of pcie aux plugs if modular.

Get a friend over with fresh eyes to help. If need be go to this pc store with your pc and have him show you what he did if he's able to get it going.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Don't think it has anything to do with cpu or ram compatibility. Gpu isn't at least showing bios screen so that simplifies things a little to narrowing it down to something else being physical or power. Fans spinning just means it's getting some power, either from pcie slot or auxiliary. Pcie slot not recognising could mean it's not getting enough power. Double check both ends of pcie aux plugs if modular.

Get a friend over with fresh eyes to help. If need be go to this pc store with your pc and have him show you what he did if he's able to get it going.
Sorry for a late reply, i had a party and forgot about the thread. I will most likely try to get another power supply and try and see how it goes. Will update you guys as soon as i try it out.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
No problem and all good, there's no rush here.

What psu are you thinking? Corsair and Superflower make quality units. Check psu tier list under psu section and look at some tier 1 units.
I'm currently using a brand new( 8 month old) CoolerMaster MWE 650W V2 Gold modular power supply. I know it ran R9 290 at full load in Furmark at 310W peak...Although i will buy a used powersuply near my town for about 20$ from BeQuiet which is 550W and bronze modular one just to test it out with another PSU and keep it for another small system that i want to build up for my dad to use.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might be psu but really i doubt it. Something is amiss here with that rx570. Doesn't make sense what it's doing or what the h81 chipset is doing. Im wondering if it's time to do away with current mobo and cpu and go modern + rx570.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Might be psu but really i doubt it. Something is amiss here with that rx570. Doesn't make sense what it's doing or what the h81 chipset is doing. Im wondering if it's time to do away with current mobo and cpu and go modern + rx570.
Will try the PSU, but would be a real shame to swap the platform as i swapped out alot of components in just one year and spent alot of money on them. New is always better but not with a very small sallary...I shall see what the PSU does as i need to buy it anyway and i will come back with some info.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Will try the PSU, but would be a real shame to swap the platform as i swapped out alot of components in just one year and spent alot of money on them. New is always better but not with a very small sallary...I shall see what the PSU does as i need to buy it anyway and i will come back with some info.

Something i do see that is suspicious is that the motherboard only supports Gen 1 and Gen 2 GPUs. There is no Gen 3 PCIe support although they are interchangable and should apsolutely work with one another back and front. Can't put the finger on the problem for days...