Question GPU Not working and acting weird after MB and CPU swap

Nov 15, 2022
I recently bought an asus prime b660m-a wifi d4 and an i5 12600kf. Before that, I had an msi h110 pro d and an i5 6600k. My gpu(gtx 1070) worked perfectly before the swap, but on the new mb it would not be detected but display would work(i use linux, and it would boot into command line mode without gui and the gpu would showup in lspci but xrandr, startx and nvtop would all say there is no device available) and i've tried swapping the pcie slot, changing it's generation, updating the bios, etc. I then moved it back to the original mb, and after booting into the os the screen would freeze after a few seconds. It wouldn't freeze in the bios though.
And only a part of the rgb lights are working.

I think the gpu may be dead, but it behaves differently in two different systems. If it is dead, I would have to have broken it while taking it out or putting it back in the new mb, and I didn't drop it or break one of it's pins, at most I jiggled it a bit while taking it out of the case.

I don't have another gpu and the cpu doesn't have integrated graphics, ao I am kind of stuck.

Tom cruise432

BANNED
Sep 13, 2022
There are numerous potential causes for this issue. It's possible that the issue is brought on by faulty drivers, wrong BIOS settings, hardware problems, or GPU slot problems. The issue could also be brought on by a bad graphics card. The issue with the power supply could be another cause of this issue.

Nov 15, 2022
I haven't tried windows but I have done multiple clean linux installations on different ssds, which rules out drivers, os and sdd issues. I also tried most combinations of BIOS settings.
It's not a slot issue either, as I've tried all slots on both motherboards and the pins on the gpu connector look intact.
I've also swapped memory sticks so it's not a RAM issue.
It doesn't seem like a psu problem either, as the gpu is getting power and the fans work.
After looking at journalctl, it seems that the driver does detect the gpu, but nothing else detects it.
It seems very unlikely for the gpu to die in the 2 hours i swapped the mb and cpu. It still turns on and gets somewhat detected.