Question gpu only works on restart or if system hasn't been powered off for long.

Nov 20, 2020
I recently installed a Radeon RX 5600xt and have been having issues with it ever since. Any time I power on my pc after it has been off for a while it will turn on and show the bios screen and start loading windows but then shows a black screen and then no signal, but when I restart my pc everything will work fine. I have tried all the basic troubleshooting like uninstalling and reinstalling the current GPU drivers and I turned off windows fast startup, but still have the same issue. I was previously running off of my CPUs integrated graphics without any issues.

specs
i5 8400
MSI bazooka b360m
16 GB ram
500 watt PSU
gigabyte gaming oc RX 5600xt

Nov 20, 2020
I don't think it's a lack of power because even with everything running at max power wouldn't come close to 500 watts.
Also, the issue isn't random shutdowns it's just that the pc won't start up after being shut down for longer than about 10-15 minutes, but if I power cycle a couple of times and get to the windows startup help/issue screen I can reset it and power cycle it again and then it works perfectly and I can play games and do everything just fine. I know this issue is very strange and it doesn't quite make sense to me but considering that the pc will start up perfectly after being shut down for a short amount of time, I think it most likely some sort of issue where the GPU isn't getting enough power on startup. Also, it will not start up after being in sleep mode for a while. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Reactions: spentshells

DSzymborski

Titan
It's the Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White. Which I received mixed reviews about but ended up getting it cause it was cheap.

I would definitely be inclined to replace that without the source for your troubles being obvious otherwise.

That's yet another of the many bad things about a low-quality PSU. Once you run into any problem with vague symptoms, the first you need to do is replace it with one of actual quality in order to properly troubleshoot the issue.

There's not much in PC building that's potentially more expensive than a cheap PSU.

Nov 20, 2020
After installing the new aresgame 650W 80+ Bronze PSU I still have the exact same problem. now the only thing I think could be causing the issue is the GPU but it still doesn't make any sense that I would have to power it on and off 3 times to get to the windows recovery/startup issue screen then press restart and then repeat that process before even getting to the Windows sign-in screen where I would enter my password and it would start loading then freeze while loading until I power it off and on again, and then it will work fine without issue until I leave it powered off for over about 15 minutes and then I have to do the same thing to turn it back on. But if I power it back on soon after I power it on it will start right up without issue. I literally have no idea what the issue is, I'm pretty sure its power related and think that it will restart if i power it on after recently powering it off because some capacitor still has a charge.

After installing the new aresgame 650W 80+ Bronze PSU I still have the exact same problem. now the only thing I think could be causing the issue is the GPU but it still doesn't make any sense that I would have to power it on and off 3 times to get to the windows recovery/startup issue screen then press restart and then repeat that process before even getting to the Windows sign-in screen where I would enter my password and it would start loading then freeze while loading until I power it off and on again, and then it will work fine without issue until I leave it powered off for over about 15 minutes and then I have to do the same thing to turn it back on. But if I power it back on soon after I power it on it will start right up without issue. I literally have no idea what the issue is, I'm pretty sure its power related and think that it will restart if i power it on after recently powering it off because some capacitor still has a charge.

I experienced a similar issue a yr or two ago with a vega 64 red devil from Powercolor. it worked fine when it was on but it only fired up about 25% the time when i hit the power button. I tried everything and ended up having to send it back to Powercolor for an RMA. before doing that you'll either want to test your GPU in another system or try a different GPU in your system to see if the issue still persists

Nov 20, 2020
I've already tried installing 3 different driver options including the recommended, beta, and older versions with no change. I started the RMA process but ill need to test it in another system before shipping it.

I don't think it's a lack of power because even with everything running at max power wouldn't come close to 500 watts.
Also, the issue isn't random shutdowns it's just that the pc won't start up after being shut down for longer than about 10-15 minutes, but if I power cycle a couple of times and get to the windows startup help/issue screen I can reset it and power cycle it again and then it works perfectly and I can play games and do everything just fine. I know this issue is very strange and it doesn't quite make sense to me but considering that the pc will start up perfectly after being shut down for a short amount of time, I think it most likely some sort of issue where the GPU isn't getting enough power on startup. Also, it will not start up after being in sleep mode for a while. Any tips would be much appreciated.

I had this issue before, There are power managements settings within windows that fix this. I did not find them :(. I reinstalled windows issue resolved.

Nov 20, 2020
I just tried the windows file scan and have already changed every power setting. After trying a different GPU in my system it powers up fine so I'm fairly certain that it's a GPU hardware issue. I already started the gigabyte RMA process and have 30 days to ship it in but I might try to test my GPU in a different system too just to confirm it's an issue with my GPU and not anything else in my system that might be causing issues with this specific GPU.

Nov 8, 2021
I recently installed a Radeon RX 5600xt and have been having issues with it ever since. Any time I power on my pc after it has been off for a while it will turn on and show the bios screen and start loading windows but then shows a black screen and then no signal, but when I restart my pc everything will work fine. I have tried all the basic troubleshooting like uninstalling and reinstalling the current GPU drivers and I turned off windows fast startup, but still have the same issue. I was previously running off of my CPUs integrated graphics without any issues.

specs
i5 8400
MSI bazooka b360m
16 GB ram
500 watt PSU
gigabyte gaming oc RX 5600xt
[/QTE]

I've had the same problem. Turning off PC at night, and turning it on in the morning and NO SIGNAL... only after second start.

This video fixed it for me tho:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvqwR95Wl6U&list=PLojdRkllfXMoIPF-Xkn-zE88FFNOmyMWv&index=63