[SOLVED] GPU or CPU upgrade

Jan 31, 2019
I recently got my pc and am going to upgrade it in may
should I upgrade my CPU or GPU first?
CPU: i3 8100
GPU: Radeon RX 570 4gb

Solution
Ok you should have led with that. CS:GO is not a typical game. There is little point upgrading either cpu or gpu for that game. If you want to play modern AAA games you are looking at a big upgrade.

CS:GO cannot use more than 4 cpu cores and your motherboard prevents you from overclocking a cpu so upgrading to an unlocked cpu is fairly pointless. The 8400 has a lower base speed but higher boost, I doubt you will see any material gain, you might even loose FPS.

Try dropping your resolution in the game. If your FPS stay similar (I expect they will) you are already cpu limited and not gpu, therefore a gpu upgrade will do nothing for you either.
Well its a bit confusing, i3 are a bit undesirable, i'd suggest that you get a 8700k, they have been superseeded by their "refreshed" 9 gen but thats a moot point, it's still rock solid and will last a long while, then you can think about your graphics card until this raytracing mess settles

Jan 31, 2019

my current specs are the ones listed sorry for the confusion.
i plan on upgrading to the i5 8400 and gtx 1060 6gb

Jan 31, 2019

well the spec listed are my current are the one listed sorry to confuse.

Ok you have a system that’s ok for 1080p 60Hz. To jump to higher FPS to utilise 144Hz you really need both new cpu & gpu and also 16Gb RAM. However you should be aiming for i7 8700/9700 and a gpu around 1070Ti/2060.

The first upgrade would be cpu, this determines your maximum possible FPS. However until you upgrade gpu you will have to drop a lot of settings in modern games to run 100+ fps.

However I’d also consider a psu upgrade when upgrading gpu. Your psu is not terrible quality but it is not great. You are ultimately aiming for a high end gaming system and that deserves a high end psu to avoid stability issues and help the life of components.

Jan 31, 2019

well to the 3gb im planning on getting the 6 gb
edit: now that i looked at it more its only a 15% difference so yea probably gonna go for the gtx 1070ti or the rtx 2060

Ok you should have led with that. CS:GO is not a typical game. There is little point upgrading either cpu or gpu for that game. If you want to play modern AAA games you are looking at a big upgrade.

CS:GO cannot use more than 4 cpu cores and your motherboard prevents you from overclocking a cpu so upgrading to an unlocked cpu is fairly pointless. The 8400 has a lower base speed but higher boost, I doubt you will see any material gain, you might even loose FPS.

Try dropping your resolution in the game. If your FPS stay similar (I expect they will) you are already cpu limited and not gpu, therefore a gpu upgrade will do nothing for you either.

Solution
Jan 31, 2019

the upgrades are for other games the monitor is for that

It’s up to you but to fully utilise a 1080p 144Hz monitor you want your FPS to be close to 144fps. That’s going to require the type of upgrade I originally described. Anything below that is a compromise, it’s up to you how much compromise is acceptable.

mgallo848

Commendable

That's only true if you plan on running your games on Ultra.

I own an AMD R9 390x and an RX 580. Both cards run games like BF1 at 120fps @1080 no problem with a mix of medium and high settings

Jan 31, 2019

i looked into it more for the gpu im gonna go for either the gtx 1070ti or the rtx 2060
and also am getting another 8gbs of ram soon