Question GPU overclock doesn't work for Valorant only

Sep 24, 2021
I recently overclocked my rtx 2070 super for better performance when playing Call Of Duty Warzone, I am able to get a stable 2000 MHz oc while in game.
Default max speed of my card is 1605 MHz. Temps never pass 60C.
I also play Valorant often, and I noticed in msi afterburner that my gpu MHz stays at the default 1605 MHz when I'm in game playing Valorant. I've tried all three power management modes in nvidia control panel, I've enabled every high performance video setting, I've tried re-installing drivers.
I thought maybe my cpu was the problem, but my overclocking settings work just fine for a demanding game like Warzone so why wouldn't it work for Valorant? ( I have an i7-7700k @ 5GHz )
I'm hoping maybe someone else had had this same issue or could maybe point me in the right direction. Thanks

I recently overclocked my rtx 2070 super for better performance when playing Call Of Duty Warzone, I am able to get a stable 2000 MHz oc while in game.
I also play Valorant often, and I noticed in msi afterburner that my gpu MHz stays at the default 1605 MHz when I'm in game playing Valorant. I've tried all three power management modes in nvidia control panel, I've enabled every high performance video setting, I've tried re-installing drivers.
I thought maybe my cpu was the problem, but my overclocking settings work just fine for a demanding game like Warzone so why wouldn't it work for Valorant? ( I have an i7-7700k @ 5GHz )
I'm hoping maybe someone else had had this same issue or could maybe point me in the right direction. Thanks
could you list the full specs please?

Reactions: alexhales278

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Valorant is a cpu intensive game so it would make sense that your gpu aint doing much. Watch tenz explaining it
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhYvDCandPQ

Sep 24, 2021
What resolution? It's more than likely cpu related, valorant is cpu bound and can only push out the fps that the cpu can handle...GPU wont matter much

1920x1080 240hz. I've tried downscaling, still didn't fix the problem.. looks like I'll just have to upgrade my cpu. Thought maybe it had something to do with Valorant's anti-cheat not allowing msi afterburner to apply while in game, or some valorant specific setting I'm missing. Thanks for the replies

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
Guys/Gals, how is the problem the cpu, when the OP says the following?
"I noticed in msi afterburner that my gpu MHz stays at the default 1605 MHz when I'm in game playing Valorant."

It's not boosting. That isn't the cpu's fault.

Because, in valorant at 1080P, even high settings...it is cpu bound, meaning that if you have a good gpu, it may run 30% usage and not only that but it wont boost because it's not needed because the cpu can't push out enough. If he goes to 1440P ultra and he is not boosting with GPU then you have an issue.

I wouldn't doubt , even with 5800x or 11700 ...it's not enough to push gpu in this game at 1080p. It's still cpu bound for the most part, which means either lower usage or lower clocks or both.

Warzone uses GPU...it likes to use your cpu but it is in no way shape or form cpu bound vs valorant. I'm 99% gpu usage in warzone but I run 1440P plus 20% res scale...I could try 1080p tho just to see.

Last edited:

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
So, I just tested warzone...so...it is cpu bound like valorant but not as much but it is close once you drop to 1080p, my usage went from 99% at 1440P to like 60% at 1080p...same fps, 150-180....it jumps alot....meaning it is cpu bound. My clocks don't drop because I have power limit upped and manual oc for GPU. I wouldn't worry aboutt it unless you weren't able to boost at 1440p ultra in other games as well

Last edited:
Reactions: hazeyx
So, I just tested warzone...so...it is cpu bound like valorant but not as much but it is close once you drop to 1080p, my usage went from 99% at 1440P to like 60% at 1080p...same fps, 150-180....it jumps alot....meaning it is cpu bound. My clocks don't drop because I have power limit upped and manual oc for GPU. I wouldn't worry aboutt it unless you weren't able to boost at 1440p ultra in other games as well
Valorant is abit unoptimized in recent updates, compared to before. dont worry it's normal, you could try enable nvidia reflex + boost and it will keep the clock up (not the oc, will auto increase if heavy render is inside).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Because, in valorant at 1080P, even high settings...it is cpu bound, meaning that if you have a good gpu, it may run 30% usage and not only that but it wont boost because it's not needed because the cpu can't push out enough. If he goes to 1440P ultra and he is not boosting with GPU then you have an issue.

I wouldn't doubt , even with 5800x or 11700 ...it's not enough to push gpu in this game at 1080p. It's still cpu bound for the most part, which means either lower usage or lower clocks or both.

Warzone uses GPU...it likes to use your cpu but it is in no way shape or form cpu bound vs valorant.
Perhaps I misread the OP, but they said the gpu's clock speed sits at base clock - perhaps stuck is more accurate - while running Valorant regardless of gpu power plan or OC.
It did not appear that their cpu was so slow for this DX11 + UE4 title that the gpu goes 'screw this game' and just goes to sleep or something.

You can have the gpu run at 30% usage and still boosting to 1900mhz or more.
I'd get it if it was boosting to 1900+, then dropped down around base clock or so if it was running at 90C.
I'd get it if it was boosting 1900+, then clocking up and down like 50mhz every 10 seconds and back up, because it keeps running into the board power limit.
I'd get it if it was boosting, but stuttering every 20 seconds caused by a slow/full storage drive resulting in the cpu to stop feeding the gpu for a second, it drops down briefly to base clock, but is back up again.
Instead, it sits there at 1600mhz the entire time the game is running..? It's like the driver isn't communicating with the game's API, or something...

Instead, it sits there at 1600mhz the entire time the game is running..? It's like the driver isn't communicating with the game's API, or something...
i played valoran't since first release, and yeah even when ran on full graphics and everything, most of the time my 1050 sits on base clock, and sometimes it reaches 1.7ghz boost (which is max gpu boost i think) but only in some parts/region of the game, well it's based on my experience..

Sep 24, 2021
Thought i'd share a discovery I made today on this topic...
I tweaked some settings in msi afterburner for when I'm playing warzone, later when i opened up Valorant and loaded into the firing range, my gpu actually decided to boost. My overclock settings were actually applying in-game. But when I left the firing range and loaded into a different game mode with other players, my gpu stopped boosting. I'm beginning to think it's safe to assume this problem has something to do with the application itself, possibly Riot's anti-cheat that blocks third party applications from interfering with the game. Very strange.