dansephhill

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018
Afternoon all,

So my desktop has been having some problems when I play Dota 2 (I haven't experienced/"tested" it on any other game yet). Randomly, my desktop fan will go incredibly loud and the display will turn off. I can still hear game sounds or discord in the background so I know it is not the motherboard or anything overheating.
Upon taking the side of the case off, I felt my GPU is very hot, and it's the GPU fan that is incredibly loud.

I have tried using compressed air to clean out the entire computer and graphics card of any dust that's built up, but that hasn't solved it. It occurs randomly; whether it be through hours of gaming, or only a few minutes of being on Dota. There are some days where I can play for hours on a day, and days in a row and I don't have this problem, whereas other days (for example today) I played about 20 minutes of a game and it just crashed on me.

Is this my GPU overheating or is it dying of long life?
What is the cheapest solution to fixing this?

I have a GTX 760 (old, needs updating but a broke University student).

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Solution
My suggestion to you is to get a GTX 1650 or used 1060 to replace your old 760.
If you don't want to replace your card, you can try to re-apply the thermal paste to the graphics card as well.

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
If you don't want to replace your card, you can try to re-apply the thermal paste to the graphics card as well.

Solution

dansephhill

Prominent
Aug 2, 2018

I don't think I can afford a new GPU as it stands. However, I was checking out the 1050ti. How much of an improvement is this on my 760?
Or is it still worth spending another £80 or more and get a 1060?

Reapplying the thermal paste was also something I was considering, how difficult is it to do in relation to the CPU? I have previously heard it can be slightly challenging, but I know it's a much cheaper fix than a whole new graphics card.

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I don't think I can afford a new GPU as it stands. However, I was checking out the 1050ti. How much of an improvement is this on my 760?
Or is it still worth spending another £80 or more and get a 1060?

Reapplying the thermal paste was also something I was considering, how difficult is it to do in relation to the CPU? I have previously heard it can be slightly challenging, but I know it's a much cheaper fix than a whole new graphics card.
Srry for the late reply btw
A 1050Ti, while low in today’s standards, is an OK choice, and better then what you have now.
I have never replaced thermal paste on a GPU, but I’m sure you can find a tutorial on your specific 760 model on YouTube.