[SOLVED] GPU performs worse than average

Jun 20, 2021
Hi, I upgraded from a RX 570, to a RTX 2060 a week ago, but it performs worse than average. I’ve seen people play Grand Theft Auto V on almost Max settings, but If I try that, I’m met with lower frame rates, and stutters in areas with a lot of reflections for example. It is also noticeable in The Forest, I can’t play on ultra because it stutter, or I have low frame rate. It also stutter a little bit on lower settings. It’s really making me crazy, and I just want a worry-free experience. What could it be?

Solution
If you have downloaded DDU, run Windows in Safe Mode to use DDU to uninstall old video drivers.

Download the free version of CCleaner -> go to Registry in that program -> scan for issues -> review selected issues -> back up the registry [yes] -> Fix All Selected Issues

The free version of CCleaner used to allow you to do this, I have used the Pro version for many years and don't know all the features allowed in the free version. If the free version doesn't allow registry cleaning download and use the trial version of Pro.

Download CCleaner | Clean, optimize & tune up your PC, free!

Hopefully that will keep you from having to reinstall Windows.
Jun 20, 2021
Use DDU to uninstall the old driver in safe mode?
I can try that, but I didn’t remove the old AMD drivers in safe mode, and the Radeon software update failed a week before the new card, which just made the software disappear, so maybe it wasn’t correctly deinstalled. Could the possible still present files cause interference with the new drivers?

I can try that, but I didn’t remove the old AMD drivers in safe mode, and the Radeon software update failed a week before the new card, which just made the software disappear, so maybe it wasn’t correctly deinstalled. Could the possible still present files cause interference with the new drivers?
Yes they can....and it's fairly common.
....and it's generally recommended to use DDU in safe mode when switching from NVidia to AMD or vice versa to remove the old driver....and THEN install the new one.

Jun 20, 2021
Yes they can....and it's fairly common.
....and it's generally recommended to use DDU in safe mode when switching from NVidia to AMD or vice versa to remove the old driver....and THEN install the new one.
I know, it’s stupid that I didn’t do it in safe mode. I don’t think that it’s possible to remove the remaining files, so I’m afraid that I have to reinstall Windows, or is it possible to remove the remaining files?

If you have downloaded DDU, run Windows in Safe Mode to use DDU to uninstall old video drivers.

Download the free version of CCleaner -> go to Registry in that program -> scan for issues -> review selected issues -> back up the registry [yes] -> Fix All Selected Issues

The free version of CCleaner used to allow you to do this, I have used the Pro version for many years and don't know all the features allowed in the free version. If the free version doesn't allow registry cleaning download and use the trial version of Pro.

Download CCleaner | Clean, optimize & tune up your PC, free!

Hopefully that will keep you from having to reinstall Windows.

Solution
Jun 20, 2021
I already did this, but it hasn’t helped. I think that I’ll just reinstall Windows tomorrow. Will be a bit of work to rediscover my games though. Really hope that this fixes it.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
So much information missing.

Full system specs
monitor is 1080, 1440p or 4k?
Did you change anything besides the video?
screenshots of all the video settings in the game your playing
FPS your getting in the game before and after the upgrade?
AVG FPS?
Windows version?
driver versions?

we need ALL the information to troubleshoot.

Jun 20, 2021
So much information missing.

Full system specs
monitor is 1080, 1440p or 4k?
Did you change anything besides the video?
screenshots of all the video settings in the game your playing
FPS your getting in the game before and after the upgrade?
AVG FPS?
Windows version?
driver versions?

we need ALL the information to troubleshoot.
Not at home, so I don’t know the exact game settings currently, but I do know the specifications.

CPU: 10900KF
RAM: 16GB HyperX Predator at 4000MHz
Mobo: z490 master
Graphics card: EVGA 2060 XC
Storage
250GB WD Black sn750
500GB Samsung evo 850 Sata
1TB WD Blue 7.200 RPM HDD
PSU: Not sure about the model, but a SeaSonic 650W
Windows 10 Pro
1080p monitors
Latests Windows and BIOS updates.

Some games run perfectly fine, but others have a few issues. I’m planning on reinstalling Windows today, because the driver installation and removal went wrong. I don’t have any important data on this computer, so I don’t need to make an back-up, as I have all games on a different drive than my boot drive.

Jun 20, 2021
Looks like that it’s just the games. Timespy and fire strike have higher than average scores, as this is an OC edition. Seems like it performs normally, and the benchmarks also run perfectly fine without stutter.

TRENDING THREADS