[SOLVED] GPU problems

Mister Werd

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
I just received a few upgrades for my pc (for Christmas), and I spent the afternoon taking out my motherboard, cpu, and cpu cooler to replace them. I had some trouble with the cables but after a while I got everything connected. Everything seemed to work but then when I turned the pc on it would turn off, then on, then off, then on and then the motherboard displayed there was a problem with the GPU, I tried hooking up my monitor to the GPU, and to the motherboard it self but neither worked. The specs are, GT 1030, intel core i5 6400, Z390 ud motherboard. Thanks for any help.

Mister Werd

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
are you sure? The motherboard has a 1151 socket, so does the cpu. I checked compatibility before and it should be fine, it is more of a GPu problem, at least that’s what the light on the motherboard says.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
are you sure? The motherboard has a 1151 socket, so does the cpu. I checked compatibility before and it should be fine, it is more of a GPu problem, at least that’s what the light on the motherboard says.

Absolutely, 100% sure. The sockets are not the same; the sockets used in 300-series motherboards are electrically different than the sockets used in the previous Skylake/Kaby Lake motherboards.

I'm not sure how you "checked compatibility before," but the only place that you should be checking compatibility of a motherboard is the website for the motherboard in question, which will almost always have a detailed list of compatible CPUs.

This time is not the exception.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-UD-rev-10/support#support-cpu

You'll find only Coffee Lake CPUs on this list.

Mister Werd

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
So to fix my problem I need to get an intel 8th or 9th gen? And this would work? I have already installed my 6400 into my motherboard, will that have affected my motherboard at all?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So to fix my problem I need to get an intel 8th or 9th gen? And this would work? I have already installed my 6400 into my motherboard, will that have affected my motherboard at all?

It shouldn't have damaged the motherboard. You would just need a Coffee Lake CPU and you should be fine.

It's OK to grumble a bit about Intel doing this. While they had legitimate reasons to change up the socket for Coffee Lake, they really should have made it more obvious that it was incompatible with Kaby Lake/Skylake CPUs. Not everyone is a hobbyist or checking the compatibility list (even if they should!).

Mister Werd

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
It shouldn't have damaged the motherboard. You would just need a Coffee Lake CPU and you should be fine.

It's OK to grumble a bit about Intel doing this. While they had legitimate reasons to change

up the socket for Coffee Lake, they really should have made it more obvious that it was incompatible with Kaby Lake/Skylake CPUs. Not everyone is a hobbyist or checking the compatibility list (even if they should!).

Obviously I messed up and I am really pissed, I should’ve checked the compatability more, I used a combatibilty website, I asked my friend for opinions and at no point did either of us notice it was incompatible ( I should have checked the official motherboard website). I just wanted to make sure that if I were to buy something like the i3 8100, that I would not have any more issues, because money is on my mind and I can’t afford to get a part and have it still not work. Thank you for your help though.

Mister Werd

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Obviously I messed up and I am really pissed, I should’ve checked the compatability more, I used a combatibilty website, I asked my friend for opinions and at no point did either of us notice it was incompatible ( I should have checked the official motherboard website). I just wanted to make sure that if I were to buy something like the i3 8100, that I would not have any more issues, because money is on my mind and I can’t afford to get a part and have it still not work. Thank you for your help though.
Any idea as to why it says there is a problem with my GPU? There is a light on the motherboard that could light up which signifies a problem with the cpu but it doesn’t light up, but the vga(GPU) one does light up.