Question GPU resolution at boot not compatible with monitor? (Solved)

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
So, for a long time I've had to switch cables to get into the bios, because the HDMI port on my GPU (RTX3080) just doesn't get detected by the monitor (Neo G7) until it gets to the desktop and loads the proper Nvidia driver.
Today I partly found a solution, which was to switch my monitor from HDMI v2.1 down to v1.4, and then I can see the boot screen, change the boot order, and get into the bios, etc.

But it is still a hack and I'm wondering if anyone has a proper solution to this?
I see very few people talking about this problem so I'm wondering if it's a configuration problem with my GPU that I may be able to fix. I mean there must be a lot of people out there with modern GPUs and monitors, and I assume they all don't have the same problem.

To the best of my understanding the GPU is sending a strange or a low resolution (or framerate/colour space?) to the monitor during boot time, and the HDMI v2.1 on the monitor doesn't know what to do with it. But when the monitor is in HDMI v1.4 mode it seems to be compatible.

Anyone know how to fix this so that I can get have a display on my monitor at boot in v2.1 mode?
A setting in NCP?
Edit the GPU firmware?

Edit:
Solved after enabling CSM Support in the bios.

Last edited:

Endre

Honorable
So, for a long time I've had to switch cables to get into the bios, because the HDMI port on my GPU (RTX3080) just doesn't get detected by the monitor (Neo G7) until it gets to the desktop and loads the proper Nvidia driver.
Today I partly found a solution, which was to switch my monitor from HDMI v2.1 down to v1.4, and then I can see the boot screen, change the boot order, and get into the bios, etc.

But it is still a hack and I'm wondering if anyone has a proper solution to this?
I see very few people talking about this problem so I'm wondering if it's a configuration problem with my GPU that I may be able to fix. I mean there must be a lot of people out there with modern GPUs and monitors, and I assume they all don't have the same problem.

To the best of my understanding the GPU is sending a strange or a low resolution (or framerate/colour space?) to the monitor during boot time, and the HDMI v2.1 on the monitor doesn't know what to do with it. But when the monitor is in HDMI v1.4 mode it seems to be compatible.

Anyone know how to fix this so that I can get have a display on my monitor at boot in v2.1 mode?
A setting in NCP?
Edit the GPU firmware?
Hello!

I would connect the monitor to the DisplayPort of the video card.

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Hello!

I would connect the monitor to the DisplayPort of the video card.

DP is pretty limited compared to HDMI 2.1 though.
It limits the refresh rate to 60 or 120fps, and the colour from 12bit to 10bit because the bandwidth is limited, and it's a bit glitchy in NCP trying to set these various values.

But I actually got it working in the end, after I enabled "CSM support" in the bios, now I see the full POST/boot process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cayo2290 and Endre
Jun 17, 2024
DP is pretty limited compared to HDMI 2.1 though.
It limits the refresh rate to 60 or 120fps, and the colour from 12bit to 10bit because the bandwidth is limited, and it's a bit glitchy in NCP trying to set these various values.

But I actually got it working in the end, after I enabled "CSM support" in the bios, now I see the full POST/boot process.
Hello friend, I've been facing a similar problem, when I turn on my PC the monitor gives me video only until it gets to windows session where I type my pin to initiate windows. Before that it says "Input not supported" so when I need to use the bios I have to connect the PC to my TV.

Can you please tell me if your drives partitions are GPT? To enable CSM support, you had to change something else in your motherboard bios? I've read stuff about CSM and I have got even more confused haha, I really want to try your solution enabling CSM support in my motherboard but I've read that CSM is not compatible with GPT drives and all my drives are GPT and I use windows 11. Thanks in advance.

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Hello friend, I've been facing a similar problem, when I turn on my PC the monitor gives me video only until it gets to windows session where I type my pin to initiate windows. Before that it says "Input not supported" so when I need to use the bios I have to connect the PC to my TV.

Can you please tell me if your drives partitions are GPT? To enable CSM support, you had to change something else in your motherboard bios? I've read stuff about CSM and I have got even more confused haha, I really want to try your solution enabling CSM support in my motherboard but I've read that CSM is not compatible with GPT drives and all my drives are GPT and I use windows 11. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Yea, my main boot drive is GPT, and so are two of my other drives, but I have one MBR drive too.
I didn't have any problems when I switched on CSM, everything seemed to work fine.
Let us know how it goes, or if you find any other solution.

It would be interesting to know where exactly the problem lies, my thinking is that it's with the GPU, because I've had the problem with multiple monitors and motherboards/CPUs.

I even tried changing the bios on my KFA2 RTX3080, to a Galax bios, thinking that perhaps the KFA firmware didn't have a compatible lower resolution baked into it, but it didn't make a difference. But then KFA2 and Galax are pretty much the same company so the bios' would probably be very similar anyway.