[SOLVED] GPU running but not displaying after repaste

Oct 24, 2019
Hello,

I have an AMD R7 260X 2GB GDDR5 graphics card that is not working after repaste. Now, I know that the issue could simply be that I damaged the chip, which anyway heats up normally, but I am pretty confident that I didn't and it's not the first time I do this sort of stuff. Also, it's not the first time I build a PC and this is newly built just for fun.

I did several tests before giving up and asking here.
When I plug in the GPU via HDMI, I cannot display anything on the screen, despite the fans are spinning. Also, If I leave the GPU inside even with no cable plugged in, the VGA cable on the motherboard doesn't display either. If I boot without GPU the PC displays from the VGA without any issues.
So I tried another GPU that I had laying around, a GT 730 4GB DD3, and it displayed no problem with the HDMI cable. Then I thought it was the PSU, but I plugged the R7 in another system with a 650W 80 Plus PSU and again I had nothing displayed on the screen, while the R9 270X that I use on that machine has no such issue.
I desperately tried to install drivers manually without the GPU, and then plug it in again, but of course, that didn't help as well.
I also tried to look to adjust something in the BIOS, but it's from HP, since the motherboard is one of those that you can find in office desktops, and I cannot find any relevant option in there, not knowing where to look for.

Another very strange issue is that Google Chrome goes fully black screen when I start it if no GPU is installed on the motherboard. And I am not talking of the usual issue that some have with Chrome. I cannot even see the Windows top bar with the minimize, expand and close buttons. All I see is the taskbar. But with the GT 730 I don't have this problem. Also, this happens exclusively with Chrome and no other apps.

I don't know what else to do.

The computer's specs are:
  • i5-2300 2.80 GHz
  • Vultech PSU 600W
  • 8GB of DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz
  • SSD 250GB
  • HDD 1000 GB
  • R7 260X 2GB GDDR5

Last edited:
Solution
The BIOS would not matter for GPU compatibility those are plug and play with the correct drivers. There are 2 things i can think of here.

1: the gpu is damaged either from the repasting or the disassembly and reassembly.

2: you have a driver conflict of some sort but that seems very odd if the card was working before.

I think the most likely situation is that when you re-pasted it the GPU was harmed in some way either mounting pressure or a scratch to a trace or something like that
The BIOS would not matter for GPU compatibility those are plug and play with the correct drivers. There are 2 things i can think of here.

1: the gpu is damaged either from the repasting or the disassembly and reassembly.

2: you have a driver conflict of some sort but that seems very odd if the card was working before.

I think the most likely situation is that when you re-pasted it the GPU was harmed in some way either mounting pressure or a scratch to a trace or something like that

Reactions: peter.picture
Solution
Oct 24, 2019

I guess there is really no other option. I must have damaged the GPU, although I was very careful as always when I do such operations. I should have left everything like it was!

The only good thing is that the odd Chrome bug disappeared all of a sudden and now I see the application properly.