Question GPU Running Hot

Paul_M

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
Hi all.
GPU: Nvidia 1080 (not OC)
Backstory:
So recently I was experiencing BSOD Kernal_Security_Check_Failure issues and black screening and PC restarting issues. I tried fixing this by fully removing my GPU and cleaning the fans. This didn't fix the crashes so I decided to try a system restore to a previous date, which crashed half way through, causing untold issues.
I finally decided to fully wipe my PC and reinstall windows from scratch to fully remove any issues. Since the reinstall I received yet more Kernal BSOD crashes and Windows menus flickering. I seem to have managed to fix these issues with a windows and Nvidia driver update, but now my GPU seems to be running hot. My idle temp is at 50c~ and up to 85c~ when running a single game (CoD:MW). I'm also experiencing some stuttering and frame drops in game, which I assume is to do with the gpu overheating.

Just to note, since the reinstall of windows task manager is showing my CPU running at close to 80% and my GPU running at 0-3% in games (may be a bug as Afterburner is showing 50% CPU and around 96% GPU).

Could I potentially have mounted my GPU badly and that be the cause? Could the reinstall of windows have affected it somehow? My PC has always ran cool due to the vast amount of air flow space in the case.

Any help would be immensely appreciated

Thanks!

Paul_M

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
Hi Helpstar,

Was looking for a good program to test components, I'll take a look at that and run it when I get back from work and let you know the results.

Thanks!

Paul_M

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
Hi.

So using Furmark my GPU temp went up to 86c at max, after letting it run for 15minutes.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the average temperature was with my GPU before the changes. I just seen the average temps people who use the same GPU are pulling and 86c seems way ahead.
And lastly yes, all case fans are working fine, and the single fan on my 1080 is working as usual, and increasing with speed when enabled on MSI Afterburner. (CPU is cooled with an all in one watercooler).
I've just taken the case off my GPU and cleaned it thoroughly, temps and benchmarks remain the same.

Thanks

P.S: Using the userbenchmark program I saw that my RAM was also under performing as the cards were set in slots 1,2. Switching them to 2,4 has resulted in a 80% grade on the program, which I guess may help greatly.