Question Gpu sometimes work, and sometimes won't work

Jul 7, 2021
I just got myself used gtx 1070 last Saturday, and at the first time i used it work completely fine, i can install the driver, do stress test for hours (no artifact, no flicker, no performance issue), but after i turn off my pc and at the next day i want to use pc again, and it wont boot up, the mobo shows vga led on. And i try to resetting it few times and it boot up again normally. Any idea why is it happening ?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that may be being captured when boot ups fail.

You will need to look immediately after the next successful boot.

Reactions: Nahru falah
Jul 7, 2021
Okey
Processor : Ryzen 5 3400g

Mobo : Msi B450m pro vdh max

Ram : T force dark z alpha (2x8gb) 3600mhz, but i use it at 3000mhz

Gpu : Gigabyte gtx 1070

Storage 1 : Vgen 128gb sata ssd

Storage 2 : Hgst 1tb (i took it from my dead rog laptop)

Psu : Gigabyte p550b 80+ bronze

Cooler Deepcool gammaxx l360

I use custom pc case to save little bit money for gpu

I build this pc on this February i guess

Jul 7, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events that may be being captured when boot ups fail.

You will need to look immediately after the next successful boot.

Where can i look for those information ?

Ralston18

Titan
In the "Type here to search" box type " View Reliability History" or "Event Viewer" (without quote marks.).

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline format can be quite helpful with determining when some problem began.

You can right click on any given entry to obtain more detailed/technical information. Details may or may not be helpful.

Jul 7, 2021
In the "Type here to search" box type " View Reliability History" or "Event Viewer" (without quote marks.).

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the timeline format can be quite helpful with determining when some problem began.

You can right click on any given entry to obtain more detailed/technical information. Details may or may not be helpful.

it only says windows was not properly shutdown. like this

Ralston18

Titan
Many, many, improper shutdowns......

How do you normally shut down windows?

What exactly do you do?

If you do not use the normal Windows shutdown icons and bypass/shortcut the shutdown process by just powering off the computer then it is likely that there will be file corruption and subsequent problems thereafter.

Windows needs time to do some pre-shutdown "house-keeping" in order to prepare for the next boot.

If that "housekeeping" does not take place or is otherwise interrupted there will be problems,

Jul 7, 2021

What exactly do you do?

If you do not use the normal Windows shutdown icons and bypass/shortcut the shutdown process by just powering off the computer then it is likely that there will be file corruption and subsequent problems thereafter.

Windows needs time to do some pre-shutdown "house-keeping" in order to prepare for the next boot.

If that "housekeeping" does not take place or is otherwise interrupted there will be problems,

so that windows report shutdown is because my pc won't boot up, stuck on vga led trun on. i reset it by press hold the power button until my pc turn off

Jul 7, 2021

What exactly do you do?

I'm still wondering, when gpu is not used for months, is it will effect something to the gpu ?

Jul 7, 2021
lI would not expect so.

Unless the host computer is stored somewhere very hot, humid, or otherwise environmentally unfriendly.

Instead of "power off" try reset.

Try booting into Safe Mode.

Try another known working VGA cable.

Install a new, fresh CMOS battery.

Vga power cable ??, I'll try to get new cmos. But my gpu is quite dirty i guess, it never been disassembled

Ralston18

Titan
VGA cable: yes cables can be faulty and/or fail. Does not take much for some inexpensive cable to lose connectivity in one way or another. All it takes is a single pin to be loose. Sometimes works, sometimes does not. Referred to as an "intermittent" problem.

Try another known working cable from another computer or source that has no problems.

= = = =

"Very dirty". Are you able to add further description?

Or perhaps take a couple of photographs and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com)

Do not immediately take the GPU apart. Such things must be done carefully with preplanning and preparation.

Likely the entire system is dirty.

Power off, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Jul 7, 2021
VGA cable: yes cables can be faulty and/or fail. Does not take much for some inexpensive cable to lose connectivity in one way or another. All it takes is a single pin to be loose. Sometimes works, sometimes does not. Referred to as an "intermittent" problem.

Try another known working cable from another computer or source that has no problems.

= = = =

"Very dirty". Are you able to add further description?

Or perhaps take a couple of photographs and post here using imgur (www.imgur.com)

Do not immediately take the GPU apart. Such things must be done carefully with preplanning and preparation.

Likely the entire system is dirty.

Power off, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

About the cable, i do try to put my gpu in my brother's pc that has platinum psu, and the result is the same.

It got little bit rust on it. View: http://imgur.com/gallery/xgyM7Pk

Ralston18

Titan
Your image is showing a DVI video connection. Not VGA - are you using the motherboard's VGA video port?

Motherboard User Manual:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7A38v8.1.pdf

Verify that I found the correct User Manual.

Refer to the User Manual to double check all connections and configuration settings.

Ensure that your GPU is supported and correctly installed and configured.

The intermittent working or not working could have other causes.

And those possibilities need to be eliminated.

= = = =

If the GPU/VGA problem occurs on another known working computer (your brother's computer) then your GPU has likely failed in some manner.

Is it possible to test your brother's GPU in your computer using a VGA connection to monitor? Determine if that works.

If your bother's GPU works in your computer then that, in my mind, is more evidence that your GPU is faulty.

(Note: your PSU is 550 watts. What make, model, and wattage is your brother's PSU?)

Likely no harm in taking the cover off of your GPU for cleaning and inspection. Be sure to do so via your GPU's User Manual.

Jul 7, 2021
Your image is showing a DVI video connection. Not VGA - are you using the motherboard's VGA video port?

Motherboard User Manual:

Refer to the User Manual to double check all connections and configuration settings.

= = = =

If the GPU/VGA problem occurs on another known working computer (your brother's computer) then your GPU has likely failed in some manner.

Is it possible to test your brother's GPU in your computer using a VGA connection to monitor? Determine if that works.

If your bother's GPU works in your computer then that, in my mind, is more evidence that your GPU is faulty.

(Note: your PSU is 550 watts. What make, model, and wattage is your brother's PSU?)

Likely no harm in taking the cover off of your GPU for cleaning and inspection. Be sure to do so via your GPU's User Manual.
I use hdmi port, display port cable is very expensive in my country.

I never own gpu before, i use rog g55vw before i build this pc,

He's psu is 550w too, its leadex platinum.

I know someone who can fix my gpu but, i have to wait for 2 months because they have a lot of gpu to fix, and it has 50% chance for my gpu to back alive.

Actually i want to fix it by myself but, i have no experience about gpu

Jul 7, 2021

Motherboard User Manual:

= = = =

Also his pc is fail to boot because of my gpu, even he use his own gpu, but he managed to fix it, if i use adapter for hdmi to vga, is it gonna work ?.

Ralston18

Titan
Adapters may or may not work.

Reference:

https://www.galvinpower.org/best-hdmi-to-vga-converters/

For the most part it is unlikely that you will be able to fix your GPU. Especially if a repair shop is only offering a 50% chance.

Clean out dust and debris. Carefully look for loose or broken components on the printed circuit board, ports, anywhere,

Something loose or broken may be repairable with the necessary skills, tools, and replacement parts.

If all seems well then reinstall the GPU in your computer and try again.

If you find something broken take the GPU to the repair shop. They may or may not be able to make a repair and with only a 50% chance of success then try to obtain another GPU for your computer.

Be sure to check all specs before purchase to ensure that the GPU is compatible with the motherboard.

Jul 7, 2021
Adapters may or may not work.

Reference:

https://www.galvinpower.org/best-hdmi-to-vga-converters/

For the most part it is unlikely that you will be able to fix your GPU. Especially if a repair shop is only offering a 50% chance.

Clean out dust and debris. Carefully look for loose or broken components on the printed circuit board, ports, anywhere,

Something loose or broken may be repairable with the necessary skills, tools, and replacement parts.

If all seems well then reinstall the GPU in your computer and try again.

If you find something broken take the GPU to the repair shop. They may or may not be able to make a repair and with only a 50% chance of success then try to obtain another GPU for your computer.

Be sure to check all specs before purchase to ensure that the GPU is compatible with the motherboard.
About fixing gpu, i have tools but i have no skills on gpu, but if I'm not try to do it, I'll never know anything.

I'm to scared to do it, and my brother said to me to not disassemble my gpu, but i want to do it

I'm pretty sure that my gpu is compatible with my mobo, I've search about it before i buy this gpu

Ralston18

Titan
For the moment, I would go no further than cleaning dust out of the GPU per the manufacturer's guidelines.

If the GPU is thickly clogged with dust and debris, then the GPU could be overheating. Once clean and cool - all may well....

Going beyond cleaning, other repairs may or may not be possible. Further disassembly may cause more damage and make the GPU non-repairable.

= = = =

The first issue is identifying the GPU component(s) that are not working. Then you need to find out what they are, their specs, and where to buy replacement components. You need schematics and specs to make electrical measurements with a multi-meter.

The second issue is having tools, For the most part any components needing replacement will need to be de-soldered, the connection points cleaned, fluxed, and the replacement component(s) soldered in. All without overheating, burning, or melting something else in the process. Very precise soldering is needed. All too easy for one big glob of melted solder to short out or melt through nearby traces, wires, or components.

For the most part the total costs in time, labor, and replacement may well pay for a new GPU. And with a shop saying that the repair only has a 50% chance of success means that all your efforts may go for nought.

No problem with you trying to repair the card and learning from the experience.

Just as long as you are aware of risks and willing to consider the GPU as expendable.

Jul 7, 2021
For the moment, I would go no further than cleaning dust out of the GPU per the manufacturer's guidelines.

If the GPU is thickly clogged with dust and debris, then the GPU could be overheating. Once clean and cool - all may well....
Going beyond cleaning, other repairs may or may not be possible. Further disassembly may cause more damage and make the GPU non-repairable.

= = = =

The first issue is identifying the GPU component(s) that are not working. Then you need to find out what they are, their specs, and where to buy replacement components. You need schematics and specs to make electrical measurements with a multi-meter.

The second issue is having tools, For the most part any components needing replacement will need to be de-soldered, the connection points cleaned, fluxed, and the replacement component(s) soldered in. All without overheating, burning, or melting something else in the process. Very precise soldering is needed. All too easy for one big glob of melted solder to short out or melt through nearby traces, wires, or components.

For the most part the total costs in time, labor, and replacement may well pay for a new GPU. And with a shop saying that the repair only has a 50% chance of success means that all your efforts may go for nought.

Just as long as you are aware of risks and willing to consider the GPU as expendable.

in here gpu is really hard to get, and the price is not even close to msrp, and i kinda not interested in 2060,3060 and more, because the tdp is higher than 1070, and the performance difference is not that far, as long as i got 60 fps, is enough

the repairing will cost me less than $100, and ofc after its done i will ask them what causing my gpu problem, but i have to wait for 2 months :(

i had a chance to join courses about micro soldering and stuff, i will try it like my brother, thats why i said that i have those tools but i have no skills.

thank you so much for your advice sir, i will let you know when i got my gpu back

Jul 7, 2021

= = = =

Hallo sir.., its been more than 2 months. And i got a bad news about my gpu, they said it can't be fixed because the board is broken and its still the same like before. I think i will get a job then i can get a new gpu next year