Question GPU Sparked and PC restarted

Jun 17, 2023
I glanced real quick when my peripheral view of the GPU spat out a spark and then the pc just restarted itself. When it restarted back to the login screen, I just shut it down and unplugged everything. The PSU, the GPU, just to be safe. I'm trying to get some guidance on if it's safe to re-plug everything and continue on as usual or if something fried and needs replacing. (this was my first pc build, 6-7 years old)

Specs:
mb: MSI Z270M
cpu: i7 7700k
gpu: gtx 1060 ftw
ram: 2x16gb fury hyperx ddr4
psu: eva 650 bronze

What happened and is there anything to worry about or fix?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 650 is the advertised wattage of the unit. Bronze is the advertised 80plus efficiency rating. What is the model of the unit? Age of the unit? 6~7 years?

I'd play it safe and use another PSU that's reliably built, borrowed from a friend or neighbor and power up the entire system without the discrete GPU in the build.

The GPU's gone, I presume, but you'd need to place it into a slot where you know that slot/motherboard is expendable.

Jun 17, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 650 is the advertised wattage of the unit. Bronze is the advertised 80plus efficiency rating. What is the model of the unit? Age of the unit? 6~7 years?

I'd play it safe and use another PSU that's reliably built, borrowed from a friend or neighbor and power up the entire system without the discrete GPU in the build.

The GPU's gone, I presume, but you'd need to place it into a slot where you know that slot/motherboard is expendable.
My bad, it was a careless spelling mistake.

psu: evga 650 bq 80 plus (110-BQ-0650-V1 Power Supply)

All parts were purchased in the same time span, so I'm guessing age is around 6~7 years too. Are there any recommended psu suited to the current specs I have above? I'm an amateur enthusiast, this being my first pc build. It lasted 6~7 years, the last 2 years running on dual monitors; a 4k and 1080p. Probably need to take the gpu to an external repair shop to really check, but that psu is the only one I've got on hand.

D

Deleted member 2947362

My bad, it was a careless spelling mistake.

psu: evga 650 bq 80 plus (110-BQ-0650-V1 Power Supply)

All parts were purchased in the same time span, so I'm guessing age is around 6~7 years too. Are there any recommended psu suited to the current specs I have above? I'm an amateur enthusiast, this being my first pc build. It lasted 6~7 years, the last 2 years running on dual monitors; a 4k and 1080p. Probably need to take the gpu to an external repair shop to really check, but that psu is the only one I've got on hand.
I would be cautious of connecting it back to the mains supply without first having the PSU inspected by someone qualified or replacing the PSU and GPU.

Take out the graphic's card and have a very good inspection of the area where you think the spark came from on the card it could be a tiny blown resistor which could lead to further issues down the road.

I still wouldn't use it after that anyway but that's just me.